Monday, January 29, 2007


That is me on the right - the only thing exposed were my eyes.

Baby, It's Cold Outside

It is friggin' cold here. Not just a "brr, it's chilly" cold but more of the "are you sure its not frostbite?" variety. Regardless, we took the kids sledding with the Gordons on Sunday as a treat - Hey kids its pushing 20 degrees for a few hours! Let's go play!

And I was given the option to stay home but seeing as how I didn't have a great excuse, ahem, like Shannon for example with the baby who can't be outside, I was left to decide if I wanted to be that mom who the kids don't remember having fun with or the mom who got out there and played. I so bad wanted to be the mom who didn't go but I could just hear the wonderful comments being made on my deathbed: Boy, she WAS really good at getting the stains out of our clothes. I am sure going to miss her.

So I went. Ugh.

Gale force winds were shooting across the golf course. They weren't bad at all by our house but the gold course is on a peninsula and I guess the wind coming over the water was hitting this area bad. Some poor guy didn't keep a death grip on his blow up saucer and it flew into Lake Michigan the length of three football fields in minutes and was saved only by a rock on the water. Sledding next to waves crashing is a very bizarre combination - let me tell you.

J is a lot like me. At his new school they even take the kids outside to play every day that the temperature reaches 15 degrees or higher. He's not hardy and I get reports like this:

Me: How did school go?

J: Great! It was too cold to go outside. We got to stay inside today.

So you can imagine his excitement when trying to walk across the snow at a 45 degree angle in the wind.

But the good news is I leave Thursday for my girls weekend in Atlanta. I called Laura to get the weather report there.

It's really cold this week, she said.

Me: What do you consider cold?

Laura: It's in the 40's.

S.W.E.E.T. I'm bringing flipflops.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! I'll have to get a copy of that. Now I know why the kids didn't know if you were there or not. They couldn't recognize you in all of those clothes!

How long is the "baby" not allowed to go outside- 2, 3, 10 years old? I grew up in this cold weather and I still have to force myself to be the cool mom and do those things!

just4ofus said...

You are hilarious!
Sometimes I am that mom too, yeah I really don't want to go outside or naw.. I really don't want to make Thomas the train or Barbie talk today.
Good for you!
And you just go and have your girls weekend in Atlanta.. you just go. JEALOUS.