Thursday, January 04, 2007

Resolutions

Do you make resolutions every year?

I do, and usually I write them on a list, slip them in my planner (yes, I still use a Franklin paper planner - don't give me any flack tech-heads) and then forget them until I am weeding out my planner to swap out the next year's calendar.


They are never anything revolutionary. There is the financial goal, the spiritual goal, the weight/fitness goal, the more supernanny-like child raising goal, as well as the personal enrichment goal. The fact that I can categorize them makes me think that they do not change very often.

This year I am really working on the weight/fitness goal. I plan to lose the baby weight.

What baby is she talking about? you ask. She's almost two.

And then there are the nice, probably lying, friends who say you don't need to lose any weight. Although that statement has really tapered off in the last year. That also makes me think that this is a good idea, ya know?

And my closet would argue with them anyway. Post baby (as in my first baby who is entering Kindergarten next year) I bought some size 10 jeans to "get me by" until I went back into my old size 8 clothes. Instead, I moved right in, made myself at home and never left. That is until I had the next child and moved up a size again "to get me by", umm, for a while. Now I have all of these clothes just sitting there staring at me and wondering, would she just run already?! By the time she gets around the wearing me, red leather pants will be out of style! Oh, they are already? Yikes, it HAS been a while.

And though I see it in pictures for sure, my mind has been in denial of the weight change. Just like it has been in denial of the aging as well. In your head you never really age right? You just get wiser...and a bit more quirky. Like the other day when I remembered Hey! I am really good at cartwheels. I should show J. And then in the process of doing them, I pulled all groin muscles and got a bit dizzy. And my subconscious was saying, No, no, no! You used to be good at cartwheels...when you were TEN. How did I forget such an important fact? That was 23 years ago.

I have never had to diet before so lack of experience and lack of willpower is going to be a challenge. But after much deliberating I settled on Dr. Oz's plan and will start that here soon. You know, when the Hershey's Special Dark Sam's size bag runs out. I'm not WASTEFUL.

So I will keep you periodically posted on how it is going. Not that you are all that interested. But it might explain any hostility on my part for a while...

I would like to think the sturdy underwear will be gone before summer! And if anyone comes up with a plan that does not include exercise, cutting back on sugars or eliminating fried foods, pass it on by.

A girl can dream right?

4 comments:

just4ofus said...

Red Leather PANTS! WOW Karri, was that the 80's? HA HA...
Costco just featured the OZ diet and they had the bag of the EXTRA SPECIAL DARK....yummy! Yeah, I didn't buy it I have NO control.
Good Luck. You are hilarious!
PS Costco has this treadmill, it is 999 and it has a TV built in it... : )

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I was just THINKING about a treadmill! But I need one that will slide under a bed - do they have those?

WAC-Mom said...

So funny! I wish I could say that I'd join you, but I'm getting comfy in my size 10's after baby #3 and those size 6's just seem WAY too out of reach. BTW- did I tell you that Josh and I planned to do a triathalon this summer!?!?! Now I'm making myself laugh : )

Anonymous said...

You are frikin' hilarious! What a good laugh..and you know i'm laughing with you not at you. While you all talk about getting loosing baby weight I'm working on gaining toddler weight...is there such a thing? If not please explain what's going on with me. Good luck and God's speed on the fitness, you know I'm planning on starting soon too.
-Jemel