Thursday, January 26, 2006


(room free of fun, ironically the only book left in his room is a book called
"Why Do I Do Things Wrong?", Coincidence? You decide.)


He's In The Jailhouse Now

We haven't blogged much lately. While I don't try and sugarcoat our lives, I didn't think titling an entry "Why Children Suck" would be helpful, so I decided a little break was in order. And any free time has been used watching TIVO, eating chocolate covered pretzels and getting enough sleep to be ready for the next storm. This program isn't designed for tired parents.

Our little prisoner is doing some hard time here in the house. As you can see, the room has been stripped of fun and the cute inmate will be earning it back with good behavior.

We've had some behavior issues with him at home and school. Intense anger (gee, wonder where he gets that from!), unacceptable stomping, spitting and screaming and a total lack of disobedience and respect for authority are causing us to reevaluate our discipline methods. And I'm tired of everyone giving me advice on how to "appropriately hand out punishment" J is a bird of a different feather and I'm beginning to realize that the normal methods just don't work for him. So don't bother telling me what I'm doing "wrong" -his teacher thinks I'm doing a great job and Keith of course, so I don't really care what anyone else thinks. Like I said, I'm just not sure where J gets his attitude from!

Call it strong willed, Type A, Terrible Three's -he's begging for an attitude adjustment. Part of the new order has been creating a "zen-like" atmosphere in the house where his rage has no affect on us whatsoever, causing us to become even more calm while leading him to time-out (read beer, massages, Aleve and lots of "me time" here).

He did such a great job yesterday, earned all of his stickers at school and had teachers pleased with the changes they saw. Given, that is only three days of effort so it is still a long road ahead of us - but we're excited to see some reward for our work. But then came the trip to Target an hour before bedtime (I mean, really, what were we thinking?). It was as if all of the anger and injustice he had bottled up during the day came spilling out onto aisle 20 while looking at shelving and he completely lost it. Sliding on the floor, screaming in a shrill voice, and unable to control himself, he was whisked away to the car immediately where he proceeded to hit himself and spit everywhere until he felt better. And by the time I got to the car with L and the shelves, he was smiling, calm and talkative -as if the whole thing had never happened. Unless you happened to glance over at Keith and the beaten down look in his eyes, you would have never known how awful it was.

So our little convict is on his way to parole if he can keep up the good work. Being three is tough -and being the parent of a three year old is even tougher.

8 comments:

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Well said, Sheriff K.

Notice we haven't posted pictures of people or faces relative to this entry. No one wants to see those dark eyes, downtrodden faces, new grey hair and crows feet.

Warden K.H.

Living Stone said...

Praying for you guys, cause I know that the wisdom you guys need comes from above. You're both great examples - I love how real you are, and yet you haven't lost your humor!!! Hang in there - someday your little guy will be a strong and fearless man, and you'll be so proud. =) We'll pray for J too - that his little heart will learn to channel his strengths in the right directions. Whew...please document all your wisdom learned, so that I can hit you up for it in 2 years!!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Thanks! I meant to also add that we prayed for him all day while he was at school - prayers has also been a large part of our new routine that seems to be working!

Anonymous said...

We love you guys! Praying for special wisdom and patience that comes only from the Lord. Miss you!

Rancho Robinson said...

We're praying for you all during these trying times. Don't lose hope. Psalm 31:24, "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord." Galatians 6:9, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." We love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

WOW --- I don't really know how to react to that crazy blog. I have experienced a dose of your little inmate and can only feel exactly how you are feeling and I am exhausted by it. But, I know you both will be better parents by these tough "issues". Remember 3 years old only lasts 1 year. 4 is nearing sooner and sooner! Love you and miss you all!

Anonymous said...

"Children are a gift from the Lord", although we don't always understand why He sends us the ones He does. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Looking forward to seeing you soon. Love and prayers!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great plan...and a VERY boring room to be in!! I know Alex is a lot like me, and we butt heads a lot. If I go at him with a temper, he comes back at me stronger. But if I go at him calmly, and mean what I say he obeys a lot easier. We have our days, but most of the time the no emotions thing seems to work around here. The twos and threes are hard, once you get through this things will calm down more. It's easier once they understand the world around them better!