Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Outside our house yesterday afternoon

And The World Rights Itself Again



Keith thinks I'm crazy that I am convinced that everything goes wrong when he goes out town. Things break, people get sick, school canceled and disasters happen.



Which is why he smugly pointed out yesterday evening as we sat huddled in the dirty closet under our basement stairs for the second time in an hour that this, in fact, did happen while he was home and he wants it noted.



Here in Wisconsin we have very cold winters, lots of snow that hangs around indefinitely and very little surprises in January. Except for yesterday when the record high in our area's recorded history hit almost 70 degrees (okay, I'll say it, global warming?) and a batch of newly brewed tornadoes came thundering across our area. Good times.



Luckily they hopped right over our downtown and into the lake and spared our area, but other parts of southeastern Wisconsin weren't so lucky. Just a few miles south of us some serious havoc was wreaked. I am very grateful that Keith was home on Monday for sure.



Then I woke up this morning to what can only be described as a bought of stomach flu. And I'm home alone for the next three days with kids and high levels of nausea and cramping. But at least our house hasn't blown away. Now I can't throw myself a pity party.

Dang, I hate perspective.



And on a side note, I am embarrassed to admit that I did not even have a disaster kit. We threw a few diapers and wipes down the stairs and hoped for the best. For those who didn't know me in my former life, I was the marketing director for one of the largest Red Cross chapters in the country. I spent a better portion of my time marketing disaster preparedness - specifically due to tornadoes. I did talks on how to make a disaster kit, I helped create television PSAs to get awareness out and I was even one of the first responders to stand upon a hill and survey an entire neighborhood leveled due to a category F4 tornado that hit an area of Cincinnati in 1999.



This is the view I had from the elementary school on top of the hill in OH.

On the upside, we had water and beer in the downstairs fridge. Gotta have priorities.
You can only guess what I'll be doing in the next week.




9 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't believe YOU don't have a disaster kit. Let me show you mine... now wait... it's here somewhere....

Does it count that I followed Gary's advice to put film negatives in the safety deposit box??????

Anonymous said...

Oh my........I was just reading about the tornados in WI and checking your blog -- hoping they had not ventured close to you! Hope the weather settles down out there. We have 70 in VA but no tornados. Get well!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Well, I do that too to my negatives (or at least when I actually had negatives) so I must have listened to Gary at some point!

And do you remember he used to preach about latex balloons? To this day I cannot be comfortable when my child has one.

WAC-Mom said...

Hope you feel better!

BTW- when I talked to Keith (getting updates back and forth while we were in our basement) he made sure to "note" that he was home during this "disaster" : )

Do granola bars and a sippy cup count as a disaster kit? Oh yeah- and I did grab a flashlight.

just4ofus said...

Glad you guys are OK! A disaster kit, I am surprise you don't have on.. we of course don't and we wouldn't even have beer and H20 in our basement to survive on. You have on up on me.
I hope you survive the stomach flu.. if it is like ours, it will be short lived.
That tornado in 1999 was crazy.. I was out driving at 3 am when that hit that night, and of course it hit Montgomery where I grew up... devestating friends of ours homes and their parents homes, and some lives of people we knew. That was crazy.

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Your high school was hit by the tornado too, right?

I believe this is the official Wisconsin disaster kit:
Flashlight
Green Bay Fleece Throw
Beer
Cheese
Brett Farve jersey
Beer
Pretzels
Snow Shovel
Beer
Cheesy Pretzels
Green and yellow body paint
More beer


Tell Jason I passed Hot Sauce Williams today but didn't have the guts to go there alone. :-)

Keith

Anonymous said...

Wow - that was crazy, wasn't it.
I like Keith's WI disaster kit....
but I, like you, just grabbed armfulls of stuff on my way down into the basement. A kit would be a great idea!!!

just4ofus said...

Our highschool was hit.
I like that disaster list, nice.
I will tell Jason you passed restraunt.
Amie

just4ofus said...

OMG. What is with my spelling today.
ONE
Devastating
Restaurant