Tuesday, January 15, 2008



Going To The Darkside

We've finally welcomed these harlots into our home. I've held them off as long as I could but Disney Princess madness is a disease running through most preschool girls these days.

They are not bad by themselves - in fact, the movies are great. But Disney has realized their marketing potential and is pimping them out as a collective group now and you can immerse yourself in all things princess any time you want.

For L's birthday she received from a friend the princess bling bling purse, cell phone, camera (which tells you "You're as pretty as a princess!"), makeup and money. It shimmers Las Vegas gold and is studded with plastic jewels. Quite a site to see.

And that is not all. We've (by my request, oh yes, I am feeding this habit) also gotten the princess books, princess dress up gowns, princess Mulan baby doll, princess action figures, princess playdoh and princess stickers.

Princess, princess, princess.

As I write she is currently camped out on the living room floor with saliva hanging from her mouth as she watches a princess sing-a-long video I got from the library yesterday.

Fine Disney...you win this round.

I cannot run from the princess madness any longer.

4 comments:

just4ofus said...

I gave in a 2. So you have held off a lot longer.
We have all the Princess Barbies and a ton of dress up glamour.
OH and leapster Princess.
the list goes on and on and on.

WAC-Mom said...

I currently have reservations for me, Grandma, and a 4 year for the "Princess Lunch" at Walt Disney World. Cost...$116.

They got us too. I don't think there is any way to avoid it.

Jenn said...

Enjoy the ride, ladies.

My dear daughter is almost 10. We've had costumes, dolls, videos, games, books, etc. for YEARS. Oh, and we also enjoyed breakfast with the Princesses at Cinderella's Castle (4 of us had to make calls to try and get this set up - how sad is that). But I must say the look on her face was well worth the money for the breakfast.

Now she's moved on to the Disney Fairies... you know, the NEW line they're trying to market and grow...

Anonymous said...

Every kid has their thing. It will just phase into something else you dread! Mine was video games. We had the vsmile & leapsters, but no game systems for the kids, with mindless games. Christmas santa brought the GameCube....our lives are for every changed. Talk around here is all about Star Wars lego, this & that. UGH! I have to admit the game is pretty fun! The boys have learned how to compromise, otherwise mom takes the game away. So something good came out of it, and they are getting along way better!

Nicholas is almost 8, so I've held off long enough. The bad thing is the younger kids get to do things WAY earlier than the oldest.