Saturday, June 02, 2007
Soccer season has finally come to an end. The last few months have been exceptionally painful to watch. J just isn't ready for the competitive aspect of the game. He has a really hard time dealing with such horrendous things as balls being kept away from him, inability to score whenever he wants and any sort of physical contact, unintentional or otherwise, is seen as a direct crime against him.
No matter how much we try and get him to just enjoy the game and have a good attitude, he ultimately ends up crying in the middle of the field, getting angry and slumping off. Keith and I have had a real hard time dealing with our embarrassment and, well let's be real, feelings of shame as he is the ONLY kid doing it. We are obviously feeling convicted to change our attitudes as well in helping him grow.
But I think we need a break from soccer and I've convinced Keith that we should not return next year. A year or two break from it might be just what the doctor ordered, and in the meantime we're looking at more individual sports like karate. He and a friend are signing up for that soon.
But in being honest again, while I like soccer there are a few things that I don't like too. I don't like every weekend being taken up by it - we like to get out and do a variety of things and with naps and meals, soccer ends up being the "highlight" of our day. And around here the weather sucks for about 85% of the season, and you end up standing in a windy, cold or rainy prairie field. So now on a nice weekend we can go cheer his friends on and he will love just hanging out on the sidelines.
J's emotional immaturity has been the running theme throughout any of his trials and tribulations. It's something we've had to deal with in preschool, friendships and now sports. At least it is the same consistent core issue, even if it is one that I still haven't quite figured out how to deal with. It's something that we're actively working on, and giving up to God for solutions. And it has definitely forced Keith and I to grow in many ways we never knew we needed to and face our own inadequacies.
And, most importantly in my own development, it has shown me what a true friend is. Having a kid that can be challenging has shown me what it is like to have friends who don't care about life getting a little messy or challenging, or loving your child without judgement, who stick by you and give words of encouragement, who always seem to be there even when you didn't realize you needed them.
Now it's my turn, knowing what it's like to be surrounded by people and still feel isolated sometimes, to seek out those who are in need. To invite a dad who is stuck alone with kids for six days straight over for a hot dinner, to send a note of encouragement telling someone that they're doing a great job and not to give up, to look past the flaws and see the strengths in a child.
These are all things that have been done for me. So tell me, what has a true friend done for you lately that you've appreciated?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
You are all growing alot ( don't we all need to?). You are doing such a great job of recognizing and meeting those challenges. Both your kids have so many gifts to be proud of - friendliness, openness, enthusiasm, affectionate, smart, cute, confident - what can I say, I am a proud aunt. You can be a real encouragement to the other parents facing various challenges in the hardest and most rewarding job there is. That sounds like a toast from a much-loved white-haired someone :) Love you!
Well, thanks! And of course your family always comes to mind as one of J's biggest fans and constant supporters :)
We are so glad that you're not only great friends - but family too!
Oh, tell me about it! Even going to the store with my two is exhausting, we just came back and I'm ready to get checked into the local looney bin. Dylan broke a bottle of wine and we had to carry Natalie out of Meijer literally kicking and screaming because she wanted another mechanical horsey ride.
Dylan would probably do the same thing if I were to put him in soccer... only worse. I'm not so sure I have the patience to put him into sports although he seems to be interested in baseball. He always seems to throw a fit, sulk, or do something quite the opposite as the rest of the group he's in. It's frustrating but he's getting a bit better as he gets older. He's very smart but I'm keeping him in preschool one more year (no kindergarten for him this fall) so he can do some catching up on social skills, etc.
Hang in there, there's a reason parenting is the hardest job there is!
-Lisa & Ben
P.S. Do NOT think you have done a bad job as parents... you cannot blame yourself for everything that goes a bit... kablooey. Jackson is just probably a bit more sensitive than other kids, it's certainly nothing that's YOUR fault. It's just his personality. I know, I KNOW the parental guilt. But don't blame yourself. And I totally welcome the messy house, not-perfect kid tantrum thing... that's every day at our place!
Thanks Lisa! We appreciate hearing that, and we know that sometimes we not react in the best way to his ridiculousness.
Sometimes as I'm dragging L out of a store upside down (oh yeah, been there) I think of those celebrities that are always sited with their kids and they are NEVER acting up. And you know that the paps would kill to have a pic of Maddox Jolie-Pitt wailing on his sister or having a stomping fit. But no, it never happens.
Maybe THAT is why I am not a star :) J would SO bring me down in the tabloids!
Not to be critical of celebs, but how much time do they actually spend with their kids? Do they ever have to get "just one more" errand in even though the kids are tired and hungry and DONE? Do they feel exhausted and cranky themselves because they've been taking care of 2 kids for 3 days ALONE because their significant other is out of town? More likely they have "Mannies" and people to shop for them and lots and lots of child-free breaks.
You and Keith do a wonderful job with J and L. I think we all tend to focus more on our own children's "challenges" and feel embarassed or the need to explain them (I do this all the time with Will's need to have things done "his way" and with his tendancy to whine). I agree with the first comment- J and L have lots of gifts to be proud of! Keep up the good work!
Yeah, maybe if I had a full time housekeeper or cook that would make me less grumpy!
One can dream...
How long did Jude last in soccer last year? 3 weeks. He sat on his ball and refused to move or just cried. So it isn't just Jackson. Don't worry.
I let Jude quit, b/c it was me who signed him up and b/c he is 4.
We will try again next year... maybe.
Soccer does take a LOT of time... especially as they grow older. C loves soccer but it can really take a lot of family time away... especially from those who don't enjoy the sport or the running that comes with it (like my other daughter and stepson).
Friends are wonderful to have and I'm blessed to have a best friend who seems to always call or email when I need it. We can laugh, cry and just enjoy "being."
K - You are one of my dearest friends and seeing all you do and how you handle being away from family really makes me smile. Keep being the special person you are. Big hugs from KY!!
Thanks Jen! Same to you - and we'll try soccer again in the future :)
Post a Comment