Dumpster Divin'
Keith is good at scoring some discarded treasures on trash day. We're not above snagging it. The last good find was a Little Tikes picnic table that we had for years and finally just upgraded to a new one this season. It still has a lovely home at a friend's house.
This time, it was a nice looking Sit n' Spin. We're not sure yet if the batteries work, I'm assuming not or it would not have been thrown away, but I figure we all enjoyed them back in the day without lights and sounds and since my kids have never owned one, what do they know anyway?
I can't believe someone would be lazy enough to just throw it away versus donating it or giving it to charity just because a button didn't work. But I'm also turning into a 90 year old woman who saves and reuses everything. We haven't bought rubber bands in years - every time I get one I save it in our rubber band box and actually use them!
I guess next I will be saving all misc buttons (oh wait, I already do that too) and washing out old glass jars and storing them for future use.
5 comments:
Good for you! I hate that the sit n spins have lights and music now anyway!
Our dumpster treasures from our old neighborhood: a changing table (painted it is perfectly good), a little tykes easel, multiple riding toys, and a walker.
People are lazy. I have to admit that I am too lazy to wash out and reuse our jars, but you go!
Washing the jars out I do - but I throw them in recycling. Win win for all - I don't feel guilty and they don't accumulate in our house - because at least the one thing going for me is I'm not a pack rat thank goodness or we'd all be in trouble. But I have thought about reusing foil - does that make me old??
Maybe a little, but I'm with you. I have to admit to folding up foil and reusing it on occasion.
Hey - we got a really neat find several weeks ago. I was driving home and coming around our corner, when I noticed an adorable stuffed rocking horse just sitting on the curb. I got out and inspected - couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. The rockers have a few nicks and scratches, but even the batteries were working - the horse neighs and gallops. I too, wondered why in the world a toy in such good shape would just get thrown away. Glendon has loved it, and I fully intend to donate it when we're through.
Anyway - I like your definition of being a 90 old woman. I'm probably nearing 100 as I even save the twisties off bags of bread for future use.
I wish I was able to come across finds like that. The only thing we have rescued was a turtle sandbox.
Post a Comment