Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's A Good Thing My Livelihood Doesn't Depend On It

I'm not a phone person. I like to stay connected to people but actual phone time is rare and when I have it - I am only desiring silence or my brain is capable of such uninteresting conversation that its just not worth it.

My sister can vouch for that. She has called during my brain shut-downs. I can tell you about the weather, maybe what we had for lunch and where the children are. That makes for such riveting conversation, let me tell you.

My in laws are all phone people. They talk to each other on a daily basis and gave up on me years ago. My poor mom is lucky if she gets a call once a week and it usually ends five minutes later with me saying "I'm sorry I'm not listening to you, can I call you back after I deal with X situation?" And then I forget to call her back. Luckily, she hasn't held it against me.

My best time for phone time is in the car. But I try to limit that too since it isn't the safest idea, especially when you are towing kids around. But once they are all doing activities and I will be spending many, many hours sitting waiting for pick up and such, you will all be getting calls from me and wondering, why all of a sudden now is she calling to chat?

So until then, be patient with me. Pity my poor, simple brain for being unable to handle such complex things as a lively conversation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this post - it's so my life right now. After Glendon I transferred much of my communication to email - but since Jaydon, that too is suffering. My new mode of communication is blogging - or maybe facebook - anywhere that I can leave random - short - and non intelligent comments. Yep - such as this one. Hope you guys have a fabulous weekend and July 4th.

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I know...what would I do without EMAIL?? :)

You guys have a great holiday weekend/week too!

Anonymous said...

I also rather not talk on the phone. I blame some of that on Alex -- who has always hated talking on the phone. I used to be better, but now we actually cringe when the phone rings. We're usually social people, fine with groups, etc. It's just a phone thing. We'd prefer not having to use it to "catch up." Most of our family and friends gets this by now. I hope!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Yeah, if I'm at home I find it a huge waste of time - especially now that my hours without kids are growing shorter and shorter!

Luckily my out of town family and friends are reachable during the day when I'm out running errands.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna leave a comment, but I think I'll just wait till you get back and call you :) Hee Hee

Anonymous said...

Ditto Rosann's comment...and I'll keep you on the phone for an hour!!!! (Impossible since you never answer the phone anyway...) I'll just talk your ear off the next time I come up...Have a great vacation! Love you!