Thursday, March 01, 2007



Where's MY Patch??

I do spend a bit too much time on the Internet, I'll be the first to admit it. It feels so harmless though. It's not like I am browsing Internet porn or trying to buy illegal drugs from Canada. I am just usually in email or on blogs, and once in a blue moon "shopping" online.

But if you want to quantify it with time spent in real life vs. time spent in virtual life, I could back off a bit and actually sit at the table with my kids at breakfast versus looking at the weather and checking email first thing in the morning.

Front Porch Girl has decided to challenge herself and go "media free" for a week. I admire that and am not sure I could do it. My main channel for communication is email - that means I would have to call you people. And we all know that I don't use the phone very much unless I am talking to my mom or happen to be in the car.

And then I ran across this new article about a man who died from his Internet addiction....died! A source reported that there was nothing else to do during holiday and this young man played online games for seven days straight.

I'm sure that is an extreme case but it just goes to show you how important it is to teach your children to find ways to entertain themselves without TV, Internet and video games. I have a feeling we won't be the most popular house to hang out at.

I can hear it now, "J's mom is so lame. She expects us to play with TOYS! And she feeds us mac n' cheese that is not even shaped like something cool gives us JUICE instead of pop. Whatever."

You go Kate! I hope you are getting lots of knitting done and books are being read.

2 comments:

WAC-Mom said...

Maybe we could start "Internet Addicts Anonymous". I can see it now...

My name is Shannon.

Hi! Shannon!

I'm an internet addict. My last internet session was...

Jenn said...

Ok, that news story is just scary and weird!! I admit I spend time on the web - tends to go in spurts depending on what's going on. (For a while I spent WAY too much time online surfing gossip sites, but stopped that when I realized how much time I was wasting.)

I do a lot of my work online, cruise local newspaper cites, and check on email and blogs. I also do my fair share of IM-ing, but that also is work. When you work with teens and young adults, you HAVE to be online.

I admire those who can go media free. But I think I'll have to start watching how much time my kids are on the computer.