Tuesday, March 06, 2007



It's Coming Off...

You know you've been talking too openly in front of your kids about your weight loss plan when your four year old is in the car with you while you get a prescription at the pharmacy and he asks from the back seat:

Mom, how many points is that?

I had just assumed that they hadn't even noticed the Weight Watchers calculator that is now permanently affixed to my left hand. And I don't take them grocery shopping so that I can spend hours calculating tortilla bread to find one that is less than three points each. And I'm sure that they can't tell that I've lost 8 pounds soooooo.....

It's amazing what they do notice. I hear girls as young as 8 are now dieting - I don't want that to be L. I want to be really careful to not give her any negative body image issues, to be happy in her own skin even if she's not skinny.

What about you guys? Is this something you've even thought of?

On a side note, want to read a very funny story by oh so funny Lindsay? Click Here.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Congrats on the weight loss... that's wonderful!!!

To be honest I quit talking about "diets" and only talk about eating healthy in front of the girls. Believe it or not even my stepson talked about dieting, and it led to a good discussion about eating healthy. I'm hoping by keeping the focus on healthy (carbs/proteins/fats) it helps them stay focused on the positive and not the negative.

Anonymous said...

Yes, many congrats on the weight loss! I admire your dedication!!!

I too never realized that children really are capable of picking up on the diet craze until Oprah’s episode on children with eating disorders. Who would have ever imagined that a 5 year old would choose to eat paper over Cheerios just to avoid those few extra (and much needed) calories? Although I know that J & L are safe with your wonderful parenting skills and the Meibers ("I Love Food") DNA, this is unfortunately an issue that some parents now have to face.

Can’t wait to see you all – hopefully before July!!!

Anonymous said...

Great work Karri! The healthy eating will make you feel great and the kids will learn that it is good to make healthy choices when eating. You have been teaching them that for a long time. It's funny how carefully they pay attention to what our priorities are. You are right to steer them toward what is inside , not just physical beauty:)

just4ofus said...

8 lbs! FAB! I don't think talking about watching what you eat in front of them is bad at all.
I know you don't talk negative about your body in front of them and that is what matters. I agree with eveyone here that it opens up the discussion and models good eating behaviors which you guys do with them.
Jude always talks about what is healthy and isn't and they know that unhealthy stuff is OK in moderation. They also imitate me running all the time and will do Gilad and Yoga with me (it is hilarious) when I do it.
SO it is all about modeling.
NO worries!

just4ofus said...

Ok so that story is hilarious and what are vending machine toys?
We are so behind in Cincinnati..

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Remeber the toy machines in the grocery stores that held the crap jewelry and bouncy balls? I think something like that - maybe more high tec now. We're pretty behind up here too!

WAC-Mom said...

Yeah, Karri! Congrats on the 8 lbs! I agree on focusing on the "healthy eating" and not on "dieting". I think you do a fabulous job with J & L.

And... I so want one of those dogs with the wheels for back legs!