Thursday, December 28, 2006




Things I learned this Christmas:

When baby Jesus is missing - make sure you always check under the stove. He wasn't on vacation nor a sign of the apocalypse. He was just cold, like everyone else this week.

Watching kids do the moves to Tooty Ta is funny. Watching adults do them, even funnier.

Mexican Train is an addictive form of Dominoes. Playing it almost every night was just. not. enough.

I, unbeknownst to me until know, can successfully plan and make meals for 12 people with very different palates for a week straight without doing any ethnic, spicy or vegetarian foods.
Thank goodness for Dinner by Design.

The mall in our town is sad. And feels even sadder when you drag five out of town visitors with you to spend a few hours there.

You should, as Stephen found out, never, ever, ever rub your face on the floor of a gym. It will follow with puffy eyes and shots in the arm. Never fun.

Willow Creek Church in Chicago is HUGE. Finally, a church that makes Crossroads in Cincinnati feel like a country church.

Willow Creek also puts on one amazing Christmas pageant. Well worth the drive just to attend a church service.

Watching all the cousins get along so well was wonderful. You can visually see memories in the making.

Getting to know our brother-in-law who has been in Iraq or other places a lot since meeting him five years ago is fun. He's a cool guy - too bad they live in AZ and not closer!

Eating the right kinds of foods can really bring on the holiday cheer. Nothing says "Merry" like devouring fifty cookies and ten pieces of fudge in a three hour time period.

The Muppets Christmas Carol is, quite frankly, the best version of the Dickens story out there. And is now on our list of yearly traditions along with Polar Express, Christmas Vacation, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, Rudolph, Peanuts Christmas and Elf.

Opening presents is fun for everyone. The Cheesehead Elf did a good job of getting them distributed.

He has truly blessed us this year. Thank you God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The blog is caught up already :) What an amazing recovery from the invasion of the outta town relatives -I'm impressed! I laughed my head off with this post. You did an awesome job hosting the holiday - we loved it. I'm going thru Mexican train withdrawel too. We'll have to play when you come. Great pics! love & miss you all!

Anonymous said...

Glad it was such a nice time with relatives! I miss mine so much! I don't know if we will ever have a holiday together again :(

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas - and I know about the mall - terrible. You were brave to take your out-of-towners there....it is quite sad. Have a Happy start to 2007.