Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Dinner Club

Christmas Day 2003


Chinese New Year Dinner Party


Christmas Eve, 2004


Do You Ever Take Pictures Of Your Dining Room Table Before Meals?

Yeah, me neither.

I was looking through some picture archives tonight trying to find old pictures of our home in Cincinnati. The guy who did our drawing of the new house is going to do the same for our old one - pending my finding some good pictures of the front.

And I ran across these - this is something I always used to do before a dinner party. I loved the look of a table dressed for the occasion and before people are seated. I even spent hours making a lemon tree per directions of Cindy Cragg and her authority in all that is Williamsburg Traditions. If you look closely - you will even see the carefully constructed Trifle that I made sure was in a proper Trifle bowl - made specifically for such a dessert. And the Chinese New Year's theme was for a Dinner Club that we used to be in back in the old neighborhood.


Now, there will be no pictures of my table please. Who wants to look at my every day white Pottery Barn dishes on the faux leather placemats? And the funny thing is that I haven't even thought about it, missed it, or attempted it. I have been content with dinners highlighting Dora sippycups, white paper napkins and plastic IKEA dinnerware.


One day, when life serving toddlers eases up I will probably go back to enjoying setting a table. For now my "Must Do's" far outweigh the "Could Do's".
But the trip down memory lane was fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Martha, where is the Karri I know? Bring her back! Stop making us feel bad...who has time to make a table like that. If you start doing that again, I'm going to have to ban your blog! Hehe :)

Yeah I could be spending my morning ironing my towels, but instead I've opted to read your blog, which has made me feel a bit guilty that I should be cleaning my tornado of a home. And I'm sure Alex is upstairs right now with marshmellows all over the living room...gotta run.....

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Oh she is still here - see, this was old Karri, new Karri doesn't do this anymore. I only have pictures...sigh...