Monday, October 01, 2007

What's In Your Products?

I have heard random things about baby shampoos, hair care, eye creams and such containing harmful carcinogens but you know, isn't everything poised to kill you nowadays? You really have to pick and choose what you are going to be paranoid about or it will all drive you crazy.

But now! You can be paranoid without the hassle and long research thanks to Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. It's a great site that allows you to look up the products you use and based on the known harmful chemicals used in various products, it gives you a rating from low hazard to high hazard.

The Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo that we use on our kids is rated a 4, which translates into a moderate hazard. So now I'm on a quest to reduce our products to low hazard, including our toothpastes, shampoos, body lotions, skin care, makeup and baby care. My Almay hypo-allergenic eye makeup remover? A 6 - which is one point away from being "hazardous", how lovely. My deodorant? Also a 6. And I put that stuff on freshly shaved skin! Yuck.

Keith is SO jazzed about this, as he pretty much would walk into a room full of lead and asbestos and if it isn't killing him right that second, well, it must all be lies anyway. When I told him about the site he just remarked that well, we weren't eating the stuff, never mind that our skin is a human organ. And then he just elated over how much more money it is going to cost to buy "natural" products.

He's on board.

The man will live to be 95 years old, mark my word, despite his Mountain Dew and coffee intake and use of all hazardous chemicals in unventilated rooms.

Check out the site and let me know where your products stand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karri - you are a wealth of information. I'm almost afraid to check out the products we use....mostly because I'm such a perfectionist. It's all or nothing with me...I want to be all safe or not know about it, ya know.
Anyway, I'll let you know how we fare! =)

just4ofus said...

I checked out my stuff, and I am good except my moisturizer and my shapmoo. No data on my make up.. Bare Minerals?
Who knows.
Although, you are talking to someone who would be a hypocrite to be concerned. I would inject (if my husband would let me) botox in my forehead.
I am guessing that would be a 9 on their scale : )

Anonymous said...

I can't look at this any more! I scrolled down past the frightening puppet photo, and registered for a chance to win free shoes.
Hope you all are doing wonderfully.
Chris