Sunday, February 11, 2007

An Open Letter To Ronald McDonald

Listen up you stupid clown. I have about had enough of you and your burger empire. I have allowed you to filter into our household in "child friendly" advertising, making my children salivate like Pavlov's dogs upon seeing your arches. I don't for one second believe that your non-food advertising on Sesame Street is meant for educational purposes only. If you really wanted to get kids to make smart food choices, you would serve more than some hyped up apples that never brown.

But I give in - too much. We descend upon your restaurants when meeting playgroups, on trips or when I just cannot make another lunch. I pretend that I am really giving my children good food options with your all-white meat nuggets, milk and apple dippers. But really, I am fully aware that you are slowly edging into their lives until they can no longer remember a week without your company as adults. You are patient and will shower them with Happy Meal toys and cookies in the meantime.

But today was the last straw. We sought you out over many other greasy spoon restaurants for our breakfast. And when I requested an ice water to go with my 14 point weight watcher horrified breakfast burrito, your lacky kindly informed me that "they can no longer dispense water from the soda machines" and directed me to the $2.00 bottle of Dasani water packaged specifically for McDonald's.

Puh-leeze. You have been giving away ice water since the 1950's. While I can see that you did indeed modify the soda machines and she was telling the truth - the tactic in doing it is what infuriates me.

And don't think I didn't notice that the water bottle was smaller than usual. While it may look taller, I can still read.

If I ever see you in person, you'd better run clown.

Sincerely,
Me

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are kidding me! They are going to charge for water? I tried to avoid the clown before, but this will seal the deal. It will be interesting to see what other stunts they pull to deal with the min. wage hike. Thanks for the heads up - see you in a few days :)

Anonymous said...

I too tried to avoid the clown and did so successfully until moving here. I can't believe they got rid of free water. Insane!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Seriously it's sad that when we drive by ANY clown houses my son says "fench fies" and "cheese". It's hard to steer away when the convience is right there and he really doesn't eat anything any way. I had good intentions of avoiding the clown but I have, I must confess, failed miserably.
Jemel
PS I posted!

just4ofus said...

McDonalds is kiddie crack. There is somethign in there that makes them want to come back... why is it so different from Wendy's, Burger King? It just is in their wierd little minds.. crack.
I can't believe the water thing.. hilarious! I would have loved to have been there with you to see your response.

Anonymous said...

...and this is why I love you. :-)

Keith

Anonymous said...

I stopped at (GAG) McD's on my way home (my final farewell to the Big n Tastey Meal) and was surprised to find as I was filling my cup with toxic soda that they actually had a separate dispenser for filtered water...maybe there is hope...or was it just a freak of McD's? Mom

Just ME said...

That's pretty sad you have to pay for water...I guess another great marketing ploy so they can make millions of dollars! & I also agree Mc Donalds is kiddie crack! Have you ever seen Super Size Me? That documentary is pretty good. It explains alot!

Anonymous said...

You know what I love about this. I can hear you saying those words to the clown. The clown must go down! eh hem..in a totally non-sexual way. Water should be free and 'Super Size Me' will keep you off Mcdees for the rest of your life. Trust me. Their food makes me sick to look at. Now sliders... that's another story. :-)

kboehmer

Trina said...

I agree with you!! Be afraid Clown...Be VERY afraid! LOL

info@racetoremember.org said...

LOVE IT!!! I can't agree more.