Monday, February 26, 2007


Men 2 Women 0

In our family, Keith usually does the sewing of buttons and mending a tear. I really don't know how to sew - I suppose I could learn pretty quickly but like using a lawn mower, I've just never done it. Well, except the "purse" I made in Home Ec in 8th grade. I blame the lack of lawn mowing skills on my parents who never would let me touch their lawn. I'm not sure who to blame the sewing issues on though...

But J seems to have taken a liking to the art. Because the philosophy of his new school being one of child-led learning, I know that everything he brings home is something he chose to work on that day. And every week he has been bringing home a new bracelet.


And, as he tells me, you take a four step approach. Choosing a fabric, measuring out the felt to fit your arm, cutting a button hole and sewing on a button.


Uh oh, that makes L and I the only family members who do not sew.

2 comments:

WAC-Mom said...

Way to go! We have a similar arrangement at our house. Although I do sew, I refuse to iron (my idea of ironing is fluffing things in the dryer). Josh does all of his own ironing and when Will is old enough, he can learn from dad!

just4ofus said...

I do know how to sew on a button (i had to b/c jason was taking them to the cleaners and paying them to sew it on.. how sad) and I like wac-mom refuse to iron. But I can rewire a light, mow a lawn, use a drill like no other.. so call me a girly girl!