Tuesday, February 27, 2007




I Am Hypocrite. Hear Me Roar.

I have a strong dislike for all things Wal-Mart. Many of you may know this. And I am trying hard not to go into my Anti-Wal-Mart rant right now because really, that is beside the point. The bottom line for this blog is that I believe in supporting businesses that are healthy for the country, the vendor and the consumer and, well, in my opinion that is not Wal-Mart. I feel like by making wise choices, sacrificing other monetary pleasures and being a smart consumer, anyone can rid Wal-Mart from their life forever and still stay on budget.


That being said, I spent $100 dollars there today. Yuck. Actually I am already a hypocrite - this is nothing new. Keith's company pays for our membership to Sam's Club and, on occasion, I do shop there since our state is Costco-free. I don't buy a lot of food in bulk so it isn't on my weekly radar but every time I walk in, the Today's Stock Market Update is staring right in my face and thanking me for supporting the cause. Double Yuck. So I leave feeling guilty with my $20 Speedo swimsuit and a double extra large box of Cheerios and tell myself that it's not the same. It's Sam's. Yup, totally different. Right? Don't answer that.


But today there was no denying it. I walked out with my 8 bags of food/random stuff and had the same feeling that one would have in high school in breaking up with a boyfriend, spilling every weird/horrible thing about him to your girlfriends and then getting back with him a day later while they looked at you with raised eyebrows.


Or, uh, I must assume it would be like that.


But I HAD to go there, I reasoned. As I only had a half an hour and it was sitting right next to my Weight Watchers meeting. Where else was I going to go? And I had literally searched all over town for a particular thing that I needed and (still) it is nowhere to be found. It was a last ditch effort to find it - and besides that- we were out of bananas. I would like to say that I completely stuck to my list, but the $1.50 clearance turtleneck for L was too good to pass up and the $3.00 long sleeve shirt for J was pretty cool. Darn those good bargains - I couldn't resist. I imagine the clearance racks there are the gateway drug to the addiction. But again I reasoned, they can't possibly be making that much money off something clearanced that much - it probably went to pay for the child-labor costs in Indonesia where it was undoubtedly made.


So I hope to control myself next time and just. not. enter. But it felt good while I was doing it. Kind of like indulging in an 35 point Coldstone Creamery Sundae and hating yourself and lack of self-control afterward.


Or, uh, I must assume it would be like that.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm totally with you on this!! I HATE Walmart (a/k/a Wally World) but occasionally have to enter it in order to find what is needed for a school project. (Sam's is just too far for me, although I've shopped there with less resistance when needing huge bulk items for my job.) And all too soon, our "little" Wally World will be morphing into a Super Wally World that will undoubtedly bring an end to the locally owned grocery store a few feet away. It's sad - Wally World's lease says they can't have groceries within so many feet... so they filled in the valley next to the current store and will add it THERE - totally getting around the lease requirements and all but crushing their competition. It's sad. :-(

just4ofus said...

I don't share in the hate for the Walmart, and I did spend $150 there on Monday at the SUPERWALMART. They have good prices, and oh well. Join the club of the turn the blind eye shopper...
Unless you can afford to shop at Whole Foods and buy everything Fair Trade.. good luck.. you have to turn a blind eye
So don't beat yourself up!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Yeah, there is no way to find "the perfect" store. That's for sure.

I try to use smaller groceries stores that support the local farmers vs. larger chains that get their stuff from far away. Stuff like that.

I've seen how Wal-Mart beats up their vendors. It just disgusting how they treat people.

And I'm SO SURE that my ban is really hurting their business!

And to be honest it is the only place here that sells the Weight Watchers Cookie Dough Sundaes. Like I'm not going back for THAT.