A miniature LEGO-look at Michigan Avenue
L loves her LEGOS. We took her to the LEGO store while in Chicago and she could have played for hours had we let her. My mom wanted to get her a LEGO set for Christmas but like the tired fools we are, we didn't see any hurry to buy it there and drag it back on the train.
But we also didn't know that American toy retailers assume that girls don't play with LEGOS.
They had a few sets at the LEGO store. An ugly pink princess castle made out of Pepto-Bismol colored LEGOS that came in both the duplo and older version. But they also had the house, a horse farm and a zoo which were cool and weren't the weird assault-laden stuff that boys typically get. So it must be out there beyond this store right?
Wrong.
I've been looking everywhere and if you aren't into Star Wars, Bionic-whatevers, Spongebob, AquaRaiders or Emergency vehicles...you aren't in luck.
Am I wrong to feel annoyed? I mean, I played with NORMAL LEGOS growing up. I can understand the slant toward boys for sure, but no choices for girls?
That just seems wrong.
7 comments:
Yeah, I have noticed that the only "girl" lego's are the duplo ones.
We only have the "boy" ones too.
I think you should write the lego company a letter.
Perhaps you will get something free from it : )
Amie
I wish that the "boy" ones focused a little less on all things destructive too. Seriously, do all boys just think about guns and death?
I JUST saw the house one somewhere in town- maybe the Target in Oak Creek? I have been scoping them out for Christmas and trying to find some for Will that are a little less violent.
I love that house set - but I think it is for ages 6-12. I am looking more for L at this point. J has some cool sets already that he needs to learn how to build.
I also like the city stuff that Lego carries. Also hard to find in local stores but it is cool...
I agree, they should have more available for girls like L. I'll be keeping my eyes out. Lego.com has a pretty good selection, but I'm not sure about for the pre-school age. The cafe and shops are so cool, but they are definitely for older kids. Those Lego stores are so fun - I could play in them for hours (or at least organize- hee hee)
I was thinking the same thing about the American Girl store. I clicked on the link and noticed that everything is worded for girls. I'm new at this, but I thought maybe young boys (under 5) might like a boy doll? Or, would that not be acceptable? I'm not sure if legos are a good comparison, but I would want my girls to be able to build with them and my boys to have a doll to hug. This goes along with all things being made for boys having a rough feeling about them. I think that's sad.
It's very much for girls. Any boys you see in that store look like deers about to get hit by a car. They do have boy dolls - the Bitty twin is a boy (I know way too much about this) but it is still slanted for girls. And I'm sure that it, like LEGO, is driven by demand and money.
J has a baby doll that he plays with when he and L are playing dolls. I see nothing wrong with it either. I had even considered getting him a boy Cabbage Patch doll to play with but I fear he is getting to old for such a thing, it wouldn't get played with and it would be a waste of money.
I should have bought it a year or two ago. We are sticking with his Graco baby for now - he seems content enough.
There were very few "girl" toys I played with as a child. I was usually outside playing with all the kids or playing school/office - things that the guys sometimes played too. That stinks that there isn't too much for the girls.
And by the way my 9 year old was asking why there wasn't an American Boy doll. She thought that wasn't fair. Thank goodness our kids are getting it!
Post a Comment