Thursday, April 06, 2006

Trying to get our heads in the shot, along with the Harpo sign...not working.

Lindsay all excited to meet Oprah - and she's not wearing a turtleneck

Today was our 4:00 AM wake up, 5 AM on the road and 7 AM arrival at Harpo Studios in Chicago. We got there with plenty of time to spare but not knowing what rush hour traffic would be like going into the city, we didn't want to take any chances. And believe it or not the roads were heavy even at 5:30 AM - but thankfully no congestion.

Security and check-in at the studio far surpassed any airport screening I've been to. And people watching was fun - everyone dressed up for their television debut in bright colors and perfectly styled hair, uncomfortably out-of-place looking men, and numerous turtlenecks - although we were a bit disappointed in there not being more. Maybe the weather warming up had something to do with it, dunno. We were seated directly in front of Oprah's chair about five rows back from the stage. It will remain to be seen if our good real estate will reward us with some on-screen time. We both managed not to jump up and down and cry when Oprah appeared but our enthusiasm was definitely increased by the coaxing of the producer who assured everyone that large emotions equaled camera time. We all nodded in the right spaces, expressed disbelief when needed and applauded on cue - we were a plethora of on-target emotions, all hoping it was leading to a random camera shot.

After the taping, we devoured some southern cooking at Wishbone, a must for anyone traveling to Chicago. The black bean cakes and cheese grits has to be one of my favorite dishes of all times. It was a good girl day for sure. The Debt Diet show will air tomorrow, Friday April 7th.

OPRAH UPDATE:

We were spotted twice while the cameras panned out during commerical. I had to slow-mo the TIVO to show Keith before he said "Oh yeah, I think I see you." Ha. So no air time - that's okay. Maybe I made it on the Oxygen After show. Haven't seen it yet. I'm saving my big debut for the Jerry Springer Show...just kidding.

3 comments:

Living Stone said...

Wow - I'm so glad you gals had such a great time. I never had my phone ring, so I'm assuming the kids did great while you were gone. Have a superb weekend!!!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Yes they did - thanks so much for being my "in town" back up! Much appreciated :)

Lindsay said...

Karri,
This is a great post!
I just got my blog site set up.
www.knappfam.blogspot.com
Sorry I didn't give into the urges to do cartwheels up and down the isles... surely that would've gotten us some additional camera time! Next time for sure.
Linds