Thursday, March 02, 2006



Karri's entry made me think of some of the interesting things I tasted while in Jamaica. The aforementioned ackee was prepared for breakfast much like a scrambled egg casserole and I tried all the local fruits: papaya, mango, guava and pineapple. The curried goat as well as the curried conch was suprisingly tasty. Conch was kind of chewy, like mussels or shrimp. The "peas" and "callaloo" were fine and was about as exciting as our beans and collard greens. Sea trout, saltfish, and salmon with capers were excellent. But my favorite by far was the jerk chicken which, aside from being chicken, is nothing like what is served in Cuban-ish restaurants that I've been to. The resort had a Jerk Hut by the beach where, after depositing the little ones in Kid's Club for their down time, we could saddle up to the bar in the shade and incinerate our mouths with the most deliciously tender chicken pieces coated with the precut blend off pimienta, thyme, spices and the famous Scotch bonnet pepper, clearing our palette with Red Stripe and sourdough.

Delicious. But not for a vegetarian.

No comments: