Colonel Mustard's Room (Dining Room, obviously in original paint color)
The Italian Villa on a Snowy DayIt Sold! It Sold!
FINALLY we will have neighbors. This is the house on our right that we share a fence with. The house has been on the market for 2 or 3 years now. I think the realtor was ready to pull her hair out - it would go under contract, then that would be broken - I think that happened almost ten times. The owners are in...Australia...I think? Maybe China? I've never seen them but I often think of them making mortgage payments on a house they haven't seen in years.
The house has an amazing history. It was built in the mid-1800's by friends of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln. They used to come up and visit, stay at the house and eventually decided to enroll their son, Tad at Racine College, now called The Dekoven Center which is a block south of our house. Plans changed when Abraham was assassinated and Tad never attend Racine College. In fact, he died of tuberculosis at age 18 in Chicago.
Anyway, the house has a very grandeur look to it but also is in need of some updating. The previous owners "updated" the kitchen in the early '90s and decided to use a lot of the original paint colors to the house. Somehow not everyone loved the mustard colored dining room and from what I hear the basement is all sorts of scary. So it took the right kind of buyer to love the house enough to take it on.
Can't wait to see who has bought it - from watching the interesting people who have looked at it in the past 8 months, I can only pray it is not the stuck up looking "city folk" I've been seeing pulling up in their Cadillacs -oh did I say that?
That was mean...

2 comments:
Oh, there was one group that looked at the property twice. I don't think they were very stuffy. Rumor has it they had lived in Arkansas for two years. Oh yeah, and they drove an old beat up 94 Rodeo WITH RUST!!
I know, I wish THEY would have bought the property! Sigh...
Post a Comment