A Good Husband
Our house is old. There are many, many good things that I could list about living in older homes - the charm, the radiator heat, the beautiful ceilings, moldings and stained glass. It's all good.
But sometimes living in an old house feels a lot like camping in a tent when everyone around you has new RV's and are watching satellite TV in recliners and you are huddled in a torrential rain storm under one sheet of vinyl. Don't ask me where that image comes from.
One of those times is when I see my friends pulling their frost-free cars out of attached garages while we have to scrap, defrost and heat every morning since we park outside. We do have a detached garage but the amount of time it would take to actually use it would defeat the purpose. Plus it is 100 years old like the house. Not built to house two cars of today's standards. And is closed with padlocks, not automatic.
Above the main garage area is a loft with an opening that is accessible by pulling our metal ladder up to it and crawling up. It is a good size and houses all of our storm windows or screens, depending on what time of year it is. And apparently rabbit cages from years and years ago.
And Keith was up there the other day getting all of the screen downs in preparation to switch out the storm windows. Somehow the ladder fell over leaving him stranded 12 feet above ground. And I lay in the living room taking a must needed pregnancy nap.
What would I have done? Screamed my head off until someone came out to retrive the ladder.
What does Keith do?
Organizes. Because he wanted me to get a bit more sleep since I must have just fallen asleep, he spend a half an hour organizing, exploring and just sitting and waiting in a dusty, musty loft.
When he couldn't stand it anymore he starts calling for me, I wake up and retrieve the ladder so he can come down.
What a man.

6 comments:
What a good guy! He's a keeper!!
ahhhhh...so sweet. I made sure to read this one to Josh ;) I definitely did not get much pregnancy sympathy (of course I also wasn't puking all morning).
I have a recollection of being 8+ months pregnant with Will and attempting to walk up a huge hill exploring La Jolla, CA with friends. My lungs and ribs were so crowded with baby that I could barely catch my breath standing still let alone hiking up hill. One of my friends mentioned that maybe we should slow down for me...to which my ever loving husband turned around looked at me and replied (completely obliviously)..."Oh, don't worry. She's fine." Nice.
Oh, I'm sure he meant that in the most sensitive way possible :)
Too funny!
You are a very lucky woman to have Keith around as much as you do, and to have him be so helpful.
: )
He is a keeper..
I'd like to add that cleaning the loft was not choice one. I considered various options of escape but they involved:
1. hanging by a board across the opening and swinging down to avoid said fallen ladder as well as piles of storm screens on concrete floor. Risk of breaking ankle, tearing screens, being impaled by tomato cages.
2. using lumber from the loft as ramp/slide. Same risks plus tetanus and/or dirty splinters.
I sat there thinking how old I'm getting because I actually worry about an injury, how much it would cost in medical expenses, co-pays, lost work time, etc...
So by default I decided to hang out in that hot stuffy loft as long as I could. With how hard you sleep when you pass put, I was sure I was going too have to rely on Jackson to act a carrier pigeon for me.
Thanks for the kind words, though. Love you.
Keith
You two crack me up! :-D
Post a Comment