Tuesday, September 12, 2006



The Play Kitchen Post
(Or Should Be Titled: The How I Need To Get A Life And Focus On More Important Issues At Hand Post)


This little obsession started out with me wanting to get L a play kitchen set for Christmas. Keep in mind this is back in Spring but as I like to plan things out early, it was something I was thinking about. In my head I'm already decorating her big girl room. She has the four post cherry canopy bed that was mine as a little girl, a cute 1940's high top dresser that I got for $10 at a garage sale and currently being redone at Upholstery by Brad, four child size white spindle wood chairs that I got off of Craig's List for $20 total and my eye is on an IKEA white wooden table that will go with the chairs. All I needed now was the play kitchen set and a wool rug and her 1940's studio apartment will be complete.

So in keeping with the decor I wanted a retro kitchen - not the plasticy little tikes, primary colored sets that are predominately out there. But they are few and far between.
As in I could only find one-and I love it- and it was this:


Pottery Barn


And it is $650 dollars for the set. Get out. I could buy a real stove for that.

So a few months went past while I gave it a passing thought every now and then and scoured the internet. Nothing.

Until this week when I found this:



$128 per piece - $300 for a stove and refrigerator. Better. Not jazzed about paying $300 - explored option of homemade route. Denied.

So I bit the bullet and bought just the stove - I figured better than nothing right? And today my friend Amie calls and leaves me this message: K, I know you were trying to find a retro kitchen for L. I'm at Costco and they have a really cool one that looks like the Pottery Barn one and it is $178 for the sink/stove and refrigerator. It won't be here long so you should look at it soon.

Crap. The other has already shipped out. But it's a hundred dollars savings AND it has a sink on it that the other set didn't come with...

So I did. And they were offering it with free shipping. And you could return it to any Costco Warehouse. So here is L's Christmas/Birthday present:

Whew. Let me know if you need a pink kids stove - I have an extra one coming soon.

No comments: