
Just When You Think Your Kid Is Quirky...
Someone else's comes along. Like Johnny Cash. Yes, that's right, Johnny Cash.
He has been reincarnated into a four year old in J's class at school. You didn't hear of this? You would think such information would be all over the news.
I have heard him referring to a girl named Johnny Cash for some time. I would say things like Are you SURE that's her name? Maybe you are misunderstanding her. And then it would slip my mind completely. Johnny Cash's music is played a lot in our house so maybe he's getting mixed up.
One morning J had a doctors appointment so I dropped him off at school a few hours late. I stood half in the doorway talking politely to the teacher and admiring the new classroom rug when a cute little girl approaches us and says hi to J.
Hey mom! This is Johnny Cash!
I pass a glance to the teacher to affirm this introduction. She smiles, nods and says with half-opened lips in the most sincere tone possible, Oh yes, she thinks she is Johnny Cash.
The country music artist, she adds in case I may immediately confuse the name with another Man in Black.
Not knowing what to say to such a legend, I bent down to say hi and said the first thing that came to mind: Johnny Cash did a song called Jackson and it is one of our favorite songs. Do you know that one?
She didn't. And it didn't seem to matter. She scampered off with her pigtails and shift dress to work on another project with J following behind her trying to explain in vain the connection between that song and his name.
She still comes up in conversation every once in a while.
Who brought snack today? Johnny Cash.
Who did you play with at recess? Johnny Cash.
Her real name is Sarah (I think) but J respects her preference to be referred to as Johnny Cash and he doesn't question it at all. I think his looks of confusion at my intrigue of the situation is funny too. He sort of gives me a look that says, Well, why wouldn't she want to be called Johnny Cash?
Props to him for respecting an artist.
4 comments:
Too funny! Love that kid. Bless you and yours.
Katrina
Karri --
You are such a good writer. Thanks for sharing a great story with us:)
KS
What a great story! Hopefully I'll have a few eccentric kids in my classes as well!
Post a Comment