Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Can Someone Please Help A Sister Out?

My single sister is eight years younger than me. Now that we are adults I don't notice it so much - except for the fact that she calls me from an upscale Philadelphia Sushi Bar on a Friday night and I answer sitting in three day old PJs with spit up on my shirt, greasy hair and stuffing my face with a half-opened bag of Ghiradelli chocolate chips while watching an episode of Oprah called Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?

C'mon. It's not like I was watching it LIVE. I...season....pass...it...

Well, my defense sounded better in my head.

She has said things in the past which make me feel old like, Sting - wasn't he the singer of that band The Cops? (Keith's personal favorite)

And tonight topped it off with an email which went something like this:
Hi – my friend is having a birthday party on March 8th and the theme is Bon Jovi – so 80’s attire. I want to dress like an 80’s big hair band rocker, but I can’t find a complete photo online of what I’m thinking of. I am thinking the tight, high-waist jeans, a tight tank top with one of those 1-3 button sleeveless vests. And of course big teased hair and hoops. Do you have any other suggestions – especially with the shoes? I was thinking my cowboy boots just b/c I don’t want to spend too much money on this. I’m sure you remember better than I do, so any suggestions would be great!

Yeah, I remember. I think I had that outfit. I gave my opinion that the jeans should be acid washed and blue eye shadow is a must.

Anyone else have a suggestion to help a 90's girl out?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Acid wash jeans jacket, 2-layers of pastel color Izod's (collars up x 3), braided belt, "pegged" Lee jeans "big socks" and 2 different color chuck taylors. Throw in some white Ray-Ban's, hair-metal flar on the jacket and that's my vote.

The Cops are totally rad!

Keith

Jenn said...

Don't forget about having two or more Swatch watches, preferably with watch guards. Penny loafers or ballet shoes rocked for a while, or pumps matching colors to the shirt.

As much as I hate to admit this, the new Hannah Montana movie is filled with 80's outfits - google for some photos from her tour for ideas. (Yes, I took my girls to see it OPENING DAY. To my defense, we didn't try for the concert, and the movie was part of a bigger girls' night out package with friends joining us for the movie, shopping, dinner and a sleepover.)

WAC-Mom said...

definitely two colors of layered socks over pegged jeans (or with a jean skirt and Keds... not tied... didn't we do some sort of curly thing with the laces??)

How about a banana clip? I think I had a turquoise one...

WAC-Mom said...

OOOHHH... acid washed Guess jean jacket with all different buttons covering the front...

Anonymous said...

First, let me start by saying that you, K, had the exact prom dress that is shown in the blog photo but in teal (which you wore with teal snake skin pumps and teal eyeshadow). Second, Sting is now one of my favorite artists – regardless of whether he once was a member of the cops, Police or fire department.
And lastly, you always do have the BEST advice even if it does show our age difference at times! ;) The Cops Rock!