What Should I Call You?
Our generation of fellow parents have been plagued with a new problem...what their kids should call other adults. At least I am having a hard time keeping up. One wants to be referred to as "Mrs. Smith", another as "Just Kate" and yet another as "Miss Kate". The kids don't seem to care either way but I am having a hard time keeping up with who is who.
Enter our Sunday morning parenting class.
Right now we are on the chapter dealing with Respect. It goes into respect for authority, respect for age, respect for peers, respect for property, respect for God, etc. etc. J's most challenging area right now is respect for parents...as in US. But it got me thinking too...
I need to streamline this naming calling thing - if not for my own sanity but I also think it is good for kids to feel a difference when addressing adults. I felt weird when kids starting call me Mrs. SoandSo but now it feels just as weird for a five year old to call me "Karri" too.
So bear with me, if you're not family you might be getting a "new name"!
5 comments:
Yay - for Friday, Karri. You will be in our prayers.
I think I saw your husband at the library today - from a distance - if not, it was his look alike.
I glanced around to see if you were there, but didn't see you.
Hang in there - only two more days... it's so exciting!!!
I hear you on this whole what-to-call-other-adults thing.
What are you settling with - Mrs and Mr.?
I'll be Mrs. Schulz - feels funn, but I can see why having an older child just randomly calling me Kelly would feel weird.
Just wait until society does away with the titles of Mr. and Mrs. in their effort to equalize men and women. They'll come up with some title that can go either way... I can just see it now Msr. prounounced "misser"!!!
I don't know why, but everyone my kids call by name begins with a Miss (for women, of course)---everyone we work with, we live by, we know. The men aren't so easy, but most of them just go by their first name, and the kids never really talk to men. At school it's always Mrs. or Mr. though. Confusing, but they know what to do. Good luck on Friday!!!!
That was him at the library! Too funny. He didn't mention it so he must have not seen you either.
I was not there - I was at Target getting diapers :)
Good luck on Friday!! You'll be in my prayers, along with Keith and the whole fam. Can't wait to hear about and see the new addition.
The name thing is weird. The youth and young adults I work with call me Jenn while the kids' friends call me Jenn, Mrs. Ledonne or Miss Jenn.
I just go with the flow as much as I can. I make the girls start by calling someone Mr. or Mrs. Soandso and let the adult make the call. The only adults they call by their first names are coaches and our best friends.
Growing up my mom and dad were always "Cathy" and "Bill" so I thought that I would do that too.
After teaching and Josh being in the Navy, I liked the idea of "Mr." and "Mrs." and last names. I always default to that when introducing the kids...although I have a hard time doing with college and high school friends. It is hard to be consitent...good luck!
AND- good luck with the baby! Can't wait to meet him : )
Post a Comment