
It Was A Good Night For Treating
The weather was perfect - crisp fall night but no coats needed. The kids made their way down the four block perimeter in 1 hour and 15 minutes and were tucked into bed by 8 p.m. As you can see, a gross amount of candy was collected and immediately (read: after bed) divided up into four labeled Ziploc baggies. Keith and I took our share of the stash, threw away anything questionable or gross, and made goody bags for the kids to dip into. We're not big candy eaters around here and end up throwing most of it away sometimes.
They spent most of the trick or treating time running a top speed up and down old darkened steps and staircases with Sidney and Charlie trying to break various arms and legs with full sprint falls. It was a little nerve wracking to constantly be checking for blood but all ended well.
Getting L to accept what was given to her with a gracious thank you was another story, she preferred to give unacceptable candy back to the lender and ask to pick out her own instead.
I can understand her confusion a bit - some people distributed the candy themselves (the best idea) and others held out a bowl with an unverbalized expectation that preschoolers will restrain themselves and only take one piece.
J was great but even he was a bit tired of it all by the last block and was wondering if we could go home now. Who ARE these children? They must have been cut from Keith's Halloween DNA because for years growing up I ran a whole mountain in one night and didn't stop until every house on that mile high road had been covered. I had it down to a science and lucky for me there were more retirees than children where I lived, so treeters were greeted with much anticipation. I still remember the old man who gave you a dime for every year of your life. Getting that 70 cents was a big deal and probably my favorite treat of all.
6 comments:
I am STUNNED at that amount of candy! I love the thought of Lina returning the candy offered her. I feel the same way. What's with scocial graces anyway....???
Anyway - cute stuff - glad it was fun night for your people!
Wow- that is a TON of candy! If you have any reese's peanut butter cups that you don't want...our neighborhood was lacking in them this year : )
Glad you all had fun!
That's quite a pile of sugar you've got there! The kids look so cute in their costumes. I can't believe how long L's hair is getting! Hope all are well- getting close on the countdown to E's arrival :) Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!
I remember being tireless when I was a kid too, but mine pooped out very early too! I wonder if we were more candy starved back then or something...hehe The costumes turned out great!!
They are TOO CUTE!!! Glad you all had a great Halloween!
We used to hit every house we could too. It was a mission to get as much candy as we could in our pillow cases. It was a great night if it were too heavy to carry!
Jackson looks so grown up.. (he is SO tall).
Post a Comment