Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Enjoying the first nice morning, our last morning, on the dock



J's oldest friend - they've known each other since babies - longer than the dads who have known each other since Kindergarten


J making his way back to our cabin

Door County, Wisconsin

So after taking our time climbing our way up to the top of Wisconsin, we arrive in time to catch the four o'clock ferry to the island. It was extremely windy and the lake looked very choppy and dark blue. I knew that the lake was strong enough to pull barges under but at that moment all I could think about was sea sickness. But panic quickly set in when we discovered that the ferry wasn't running... at all. Until the wind calmed down, which didn't happen until Sunday.

With no other mode of transportation to get to the island, and our cabin, we had to get back in the car and come up with a better plan. The peninsula was almost completely booked for Fall Fest and there weren't a lot of options. Luckily we fell upon a tourist info booth in one of the fishing villages and the woman inside took pity on us and gave us her sister's phone number who owns a few houses in DC. Luckily, one was vacant and within the hour we were scoping out our new home.

The rest of the weekend went without a hitch. We toured the area, stopped in some shops, ate out, made food, played games, and burned lots and lots of wood. I was sorry to see Sunday come because it was just not enough time to soak it all in.

I must agree that Door County feels a lot like Maine. Maine is still my first love but I'll take Door County any day!

No comments: