A New Direction
I am very excited about our upcoming venture - one family (us), one year, and not buying anything new for an entire year. It is going to be a true test for someone who spends much of her Wisconsin winter walking around Target just to get out of the house. We're going to learn how to do without, to make the most of our food at home, to give handmade gifts instead of cheap plastic toys, spend more time together as a family doing free things like hiking and having movie/homemade pizza nights at home.
In the process, I am going to make sure that the kids really have an understanding of where our food comes from (the fact that we were eating a cantaloupe from the garden yesterday and J remarked to L that he saw it growing on the ground from a vine made my heart do somersaults), find even more ways to help take care of the earth and other people, devote more time to learning the biblical virtues that help us in daily life, to lay on the ground and find shapes in the clouds, to figure out a way to find more balance in our lives as a family.
I don't even know if we would make it a year without one new piece of clothing, toy, brick-a-brack or thing but I'm willing to try. I am steadfast to make sure any new clothing needed is bought used or any equipment needed is borrowed or used. We'll still have a lean monthly budget to buy new things like food, toiletries and diapers. You know, things that cannot or should not be purchased used. And probably the most entertaining thing about it would be to watch me slowly go mad.
I was/am going to start a new blog about our experience called Simply Spent. Potentially something that could be a good resource for other families who want to simplify and reduce. And then take the concept to a book publisher possibly. It was a whole big plan to kick the writing into gear again.
But we're on hold right now. Life is throwing us some new challenges and I've agreed to help Keith by focusing on those. So for those of you who had to listen to me talk and talk and talk about this - it's still in the works, just not enough time to devote to a live version now. We'll still be cutting back and easing into it but to be very honest - I am not suffering completely without the golden carrot in front of me - and a Internet full of people holding me accountable. Right now the kick off has been postponed until Jan, 2009. And that will have to be flexible too.
Until then I am arming myself with post ideas, selling and purging everything we don't need, and gathering reference books like Last Child in the Woods, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and Affluenza. If you have read any books recently that you think I would enjoy and get ideas out of - feel free to leave a comment.
Thanks!

6 comments:
You've probably read most of these if you are going to go this route, but just in case, here they are:
Good luck! We attempted this last winter and I didn't get very far. It was way too hard with Violet being little, plus I just couldn't get myself back on the cloth diaper-train again.(Diaper trips to Target are always what made me fall on my spending face.) It did however, help me re adjust my priorities a lot and it was worth the effort, despite failing :)
Do you read this blog?
http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/
This is her family as well:
http://www.livelightlytour.com/
http://frugalgreengirl.blogspot.com/
http://greenerside.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/02/maybe_youve_hea.html
http://crunchychicken.blogspot.com/
Oh and I would highly recommend this book as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Choosing-Simplicity-Finding-Fulfillment-Complex/dp/0967206715
it's not so much about the "challenge" but about real people following their hearts and dreams and changing their lives to live more simply and with less pressure, "stuff" and living a more true and authentic life, whether that mean moving to the country or living in a city close to everything so one can do without 2 cars and a long commute to work, etc. Good book.
Last year we did the consumed series at Crossroads. I have most of the CD's in my car. I will send them to you at home. There were a few people who talked about their pledge to not buy anything for a year.
Let me know if you want them and I will mail them to you.
I am reading good books, but I don't think they apply : )
Maybe Dr. Oz's You The Owner's Manual.. and I will send you Brian Tome's new book when we are done as well.
: )
Living Simply with Children by Marie Sherlock is quite lovely. I look forward to reading about your adventures.
Thanks all for the recommendations!
Always appreciated.
Hi!
We haven't forgotten about you! I admire your courage and your determination. And I love all your entries, they're such fun to read.
I would love to do this, it just seems SO hard! I think you've inspired me, though, to see what I can work with and refrain from buying things that I really don't need. Making use of the canned vegetables that I haven't touched in two years, for example. Stealing tomatoes from our neighbor. Hey, it's a start. (Just kidding on the stealing part. Sort of.)
We're going to cancel our garbage service too since we have access to public recycling bins and a dumpster of our own (Ben's opening up a gallery in two weeks! Pop Revolution is the name.)
Keep posting, I'll be reading! :)
-Lisa, Ben, Dylan and Natalie Neal
Post a Comment