Wednesday, December 05, 2007

last night--oh, so pretty

this morning. 10am. I know, looks like dusk.


J making the most of things

the poor gnome never stood a chance

Rewind back to Saturday night. Forecast is for a couple inches of snow. A couple inches arrive and I excitedly break out the snowblower to make sure it still runs and hasn't rusted solid over the summer. Just enough snow to not make me look like a complete wuss for not wielding a shovel. RDPW plow manages to block my driveway with a foot of slush and ice. No biggie. I have my snow blower.

Fast forward to Tuesday. Karri asks me to pick up the essentials [concord grapes] from PickNSave because they're calling for more snow. I oblige and am excited to break out the Rebel XT DSLR and take a shot of the gently falling snow--I forgot how much I love manual exposure photography. As I slide/ski on one foot down my driveway to set up the tripod, I am greeted by a neighbor walking his dog who mentions he saw two accident between 10th and 18th. Awesome.

We go to bed fully expecting the 3-4 inches of fluff by morning and we awake at 6:30 to the sound of plows. A quick check to the WTMJ [nothing to do with lockjaw] website to find that both schools are in session. 4 inches? This is Wisconsin baby. I rush down, iPod in hand, to crank up the snowblower again. I happily clear the whole driveway, the foot of ice and snow that RDPW plow has again deposited at the end of my driveway and the entire block's sidewalk under a mostly clear sky. As I return to my garage we're hit by a Nor'easter. A band of lake-effect storms that thoughtlessly dump another 4 inches of fresh snow on my nicely plowed concrete. 4 inches by the time I drop both kids off at school. That's four inches in an hour and a half. And it kept snowing until almost noon. Leaving me to plow again.

I check the satellite images this time and fairly confident I won't have to do this again today, I head out again clearing my driveway, sidewalk and the 2 feet of snow and ice the darn RDPW plow has again deposited at the end of my driveway.

Leave to pick up the kids, pleased that my driveway is clear and in fact melting a bit; and the frickin' RDPW plow has again left me a gift at the end of the driveway.

Forecast tonight: Clear and cold. Low of 7deg.

When is spring break?

3 comments:

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I have to say - one great thing about WI is that you can get a foot of snow and they still don't cancel school.

In NC they would have been out for at least a week with this snow.

Awesome!

just4ofus said...

It does look pretty.
Winter sucks.
I want spring too.

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous!!! Now I REALLY can't wait to visit! Can you keep the snow around until the 18th?