Friday, December 14, 2007

5 weeks old


all dressed up and no place to go


Shhhhhh....


Don't Tell Anyone...But I'm Slowly Going Insane



A week running full speed with 4 1/2 hours of sleep each night and no nap is slowly making me crazy. And its running into other parts of my life.


It's really not the fact that our oven is dying and I have to bake 10 dozen cookies next week. Really, it's not. Or that we probably won't have an oven for the two weeks my family is visiting over Christmas. Holiday salads it is!


I keep writing blog entries, stopping to take care of pressing matters, and by the time I get back to it I am bored with the dry, dull writing and never publish it. I really have nothing interesting to say anymore. Want to talk about the amount of child poop issues in our house right now?


No, me neither.


It is amazing what sleep deprivation will do to a person. Combine baby brain with holiday craziness and you get something that resembles a person but really feels like a bitchy, blubbering, forgetful mess who mutters to herself constantly.


Last night I kidded myself into believing I could handle a cocktail party (no nap! nap free!) in this state and spent most of the first 15 minutes apologizing to each and every person for not returning phone calls, ignoring emails, forgetting important information and explaining why my newborn son looked like a velour candy cane.


Yes, we won't talk about the fact that this year's Santa picture includes only two of the three children. That's what he gets for being in school during the day that our caroling trip to the nursing home was canceled at the last minute and mommy was not about to ignore the three hours of preparation it took to get the youngest two children into respectable holiday outfits to charm old people.


We also won't talk about Tuesday when J's ride did not pick him up and I bundled everyone up in their pajamas, scraped and heated the car and got him to school an half an hour late only to find nobody there. School was canceled and I'm the only person who seemed to not realize this. In my defense they did not cancel school the day it snowed 13 inches but yet a little ice was cause for concern.


Well, I'm off to unwrap all of the presents I just spent an hour wrapping because the person taking them to their recipients for me is flying on a plane and I completely forgot that they don't like things wrapped going through security. Never mind I was fully aware of this rule.


Sigh...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - only 72 more hours and 42 minutes (providing my flight is on time which is extremely unlikely since I am flying from Philly) and you'll have another set of hands to help you feel "normal" again! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

hang in there...it does get better!!! You have about another 4 weeks of insanity, and then you somehow are completely adjusted! Forget cleaning, baking 10 dozen cookies (are you crazy???), and concentrate on baby and only necessary things like laundry & food.

It does get better...enjoy this time, soon all three of them will be fighting with each other, and you don't know who started what, and who should get in trouble, and who hurt the baby, and what the baby did to them. Then you wish for the days it was "easier."

just4ofus said...

I am sorry you are so tired.
I can not imagine.
I swear I am so bitchy when I don't get sleep when I work late or am on call..so I can not imagine.
Feel better.
Sounds like you have some help arriving.
Try to stay out of the insane assylum.

just4ofus said...

OH and BTW..
SO CUTE.
SO CUTE.
Sucking his thumb.. : )
And Lina and Jackson are as cute as ever too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karri - you are so fun in your insane state. Sweetie, hang in there! Your children are so sweet - it's more then evident from the pics that you're doing a great job caring for them, which is all you need to worry about right now!

Your writing is really a joy to read - so please PLEASE go ahead and publish the "dry, dull posts" OK! =)

I totally understand your confusion over the cancelled school on Tuesday - I wouldn't have guessed it either. I agree, WI doesn't always make sense. We can't decide if we're equipped or cautious...it bugs me too!

Have a good week as your family members begin to arrive!

WAC-Mom said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures!

Hang in there. It does get better (I know that may be hard to believe right now)!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Thanks all - I've been getting some naps lately so I am not feeling quite as fragile :)

And the new stove with a double oven coming next week isn't hurting my mood either!