Our Yearly Pilgrimage to Carl Sandburg's Farm Connemara
Sometimes I think that Carl Sandburg and I are having mirrored lives. He grew up in the Chicago area and moved to Western North Carolina when he was older. I did the opposite. You know we are both writers by trade, he won two Pulitzer prizes and I have so far have won none. So yes, so much alike! But seriously, I am a big fan of his work so it makes it that much more of a privilege to visit. If you have never read Rootabaga Stories to your kids, I suggest finding a copy. My kids are a bit young to grasp them, but they love the nonsensical verse anyway.
His farm is ten minutes from the house I grew up in. I used to go there a lot, especially when I was older, and run the many trails for exercise. I was a trail runner - never enjoyed running around a track very much. It was very therapeutic, especially in my "Where am I going? What am I going to do?" years. Even now I can picture those trails - every tree root, every rock - in my head. That place is forever burned in my brain.
It's exciting to be able to share that joy with my children now. Besides it being a National Park, they have turned his home into a museum and tour, the barns and milking houses are perfectly preserved like they haven't aged a day and the goats and chickens that run around are descendants of the prize winning animals that Mrs. Sandburg raised herself. You get a sense of really feeling what it was like to live there back in the day. I think they would have been pleased with the results.
Hanging out with Nina
The chickens and rooster were very patient and forgiving with L's little fingers.
Eagerly waiting for the mommy goats to feed the babies.
6 comments:
Looks wonderful! And you even let your kids pet the goat : ) I'm guessing that there was hand sanitizer involved. Right???
Can't wait to see all your pics!
Let's just say they had the pump stuff there but I brought my own wipes as back up since the pump doesn't get dirt off of your hands!
Cute pictures! Looks like fun. Looking forward to seeing you soon :)
Awww, you look great Miss Mommy! And the kids are adorable!!!!
Glad ya'll had a great time. You and the kids look wonderful!!
You look pregnant! Imagine that!
You look cute!
: )
Post a Comment