Friday, April 24, 2009


Yo! It's Earth Week.

And today is "crazy hair day" at J's school courtesy of student council. I had to bribe him to actually keep it in and wear it to school. He was afraid people were going to laugh at him until he saw some of the wild styles at school. I think he'll keep the look intact. He totally looks like a college hippie wannabe, which reminded me of our theme this week...Earth Week. And my less than stellar attitude concerning it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about the Earth. I've been environmentally conscious since I can remember. I even started out my career trying to do environmental communications until my efforts to break into National Geographic and the EPA did not pan out. My internships in college were for enviro agencies like SEA Grant, NOAA and ECO. The reason is am prefacing with this is not to sound like a know-it-all but because I'm about to sound jaded. 'Cause really, I do care.

And if everyone wants to create a National holiday around the environment, that's fine - create awareness. Awareness good. Want to create festivals and rock concerts celebrating it? Okay. Whatever. But the consumer stronghold that has popped up recently annoys me. I get that environmental concern is now a fad, and like Kabbalah bracelets, everyone is toting cool, hip cloth bags. Or maybe I am just jealous of the cool, hip cloth bags since my hodge podge collection advertises things like "Pleasant Ridge Days, 2003" and "AAM Annual Meeting, 1999, See you at the Expo!".

I feel like a crotchety old hippie shouting "Every day should be Earth Day!" at my computer while reading about all of the free giveaways I could be receiving if I stop by the mall. I have become the Earth Day Grinch. The EnviroScrooge.

It is just so frustrating to be altering my own convenience when I don't feel like it:
spending a bit more money to be eco-conscious in the packaging I buy...
going out of my way to recycle EVERYTHING I possibly can...
composting stinky leftovers in the middle of winter...
dealing with the annoying delay our energy-saving light bulbs have...
avoiding stores that aren't doing their share to be good neighbors but still having a tight budget to stick to...
avoiding paper napkins and paper plates even when it would be easier to just use them...

All seemingly in vain while watching people all around me just throw out everything and recycle nothing - basically canceling out any good deeds I am doing. I've watched selfish lawmakers destroying everything in the name of money and power - things done in the last decade that will never, ever be fixed. Which leaves me feeling like "Why Bother?"

In the end, the answer is always the same:
Because I have to live with myself and my actions.
Because I love God and feel this is showing the utmost respect to the world He created.
Because I am raising children who might make a difference one day.
Because I just HAVE to.

But I'm far from perfect. I still buy aerosol hairspray and paper towels by the dozen and don't want to hear about it. I'[ll buy avocados from Mexico despite their "transportation carbon footprint" because frankly, I want guacamole TODAY. I enjoy thumbing through catalogs and probably get way too many of them. I have always used disposal diapers because eewww.... I drove a Pacifica which was not gas efficient. I take way too long and way too hot showers sometimes to decompress. I like my thermostat at 69, and will not consider being cold an option. You see where I'm going with this?

But we all have vices. What are you not giving up anytime soon?

4 comments:

thetaylorfamily said...

I love your blog!!!! You are a great writer! (I sound like an old teacher :) ) Keep up the good work! You really do put a great perspective on things-and yes, I agree, E-has the most beautiful red hair I have ever seen-Lina's new do is cute too :) Take care-ST

Anonymous said...

Karri--have no fear about the paper towels....they COMPOST! Yeah, still the issue of deforestation, whatever, but most of these paper products nowadays are made from trees that are grown as crops.

sarina

and hey, we MISS you guys!

Jenn said...

I'm so with you!! I haven't always been aware, but in the past few years have started recycling all I can (easily), driving less when possible, using cloth bags now... Maybe because it's the fad, but honestly I feel guilty. We've used our "woods" area as a compost site for years now. My hope is my kids will learn to recycle and take care of the earth.

WAC-Mom said...

Hilarious! I am with you on the paper towels and on not giving up my showers... sometimes a long, hot shower is the only thing that gets me going. Although I find that I can usually only get motivated every other day so... that has to save some water, right?

BTW- I have not always been super earth friendly, but i annoys the crap out of me to see all the crap that stores sell in the name of being environmentally conscience...