Dance Recital Day
Sorry for the delay in posting - it has been pretty much a choice between blogging and sleep. And even with as little sleep as I've been getting, I've chosen sleep. Things seem to be crazy around here and probably is a whole post in itself - as is the wonderful trip to Philadelphia.
But baby steps. Today was dance recital day and Lina made her official first dance debut as a ballerina in the "Cotton Candy March" piece. I spent most of my day shuttling her back and forth between performances and sitting for two hour recitals watching other people's kids dance to tap, ballet, jazz and hip hop tunes over a loud PA system. You. Are. Welcome.
Her YouTube debut is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5cNLLJbMwc
Overall it was a success but also made me very scared of what could be down the road for me. Overzealous stage moms scare the crap out of me. And what mom is okay with buying 10 different costumes for one child's 10 different performances, each about $44 each? I'd be starting the negotiations. "Honey, how about two or three routines and we'll take you to a waterpark instead?"
That's over $400 dollars. Good grief. Couldn't you feed an entire African village with that money? Can't you tell I'm gonna be LOVED by a teenage girl?
And now Jackson has expressed desire to try dance. Now that he's seen other boys doing it....
So we'll see if he's really still interested in the fall. I think he just sees the boys on stage, surrounded and adored by a fleet of girls and thinks "Awesome!"
Lina loved it. It's fun to see her start to do "her own thing" too. You couldn't even tell that she had bit it on the concrete after performance number one and there was a big hole in the knee of her tights. And if you could? Oh well.... I figured the pinkish-colored bandaid covered it alright.
I even heard Jackson telling her in the bathroom tonight as they were getting ready for bed "you were the most beautiful girl up there". Awwww....Keith whispered to me as he overheard, "she was".
7 comments:
That is the sweetest thing ever. Makes me wish I had a brother!
I just signed Ramsey up for dance this summer. I am scared of the costumes and stuff! I think the summer dance is more laid back but her required outfit almost cost as much as the class! Lina looks adorable!
Yay for little Lina!!! She's too adorable!!! I hate that I missed her first recital, but I'm sure there will be many more! Love you Lina! Dance on, sista!!!!
~ A. Jen
Congrats to Lina! She looks beautiful up there! And so it begins, more running with activities. It's well worth it though :) Sid's never gotten into dance, that was my big kid activity. I'd love to see Lina Ballerina in action :)
Yeah Lina! Wish we could have been there to see it. Jackson is so sweet...
We have Abby's recital in June... I'm so over the costumes, recital fees, picture fees, ticket fees, totally-made-up fees, etc! Our kids can commiserate when they are teenagers...
What a sweet story. Congrats to Lina on her big debut!! And hooray for you letting her do her own thing.
And as the parent of a teen and tween: you may be surprised at how aware they can be of the cost of things. My girls are pretty good about spending wisely. A borrowed a flute this year, and C did fundraising to help cover her costs for sports and 8th grade activities. Keep doing what you're doing and they'll be as awesome as you!
Post a Comment