
Why I love Meghan McCain and my husband...and how both inspire me daily
I love writing and I'm glad to be back in it again slowly but surely. But writing about "real life" gets exhausting because I'm always trying to be true to myself and write about what I am feeling, but also be cautious of how it will affect others. And does it.
I've caught wind several times of comments or specific words I've used have somehow been misread or was deemed offensive. But since no one has approached me personally, I'm going to go ahead and lay it out there as a disclaimer about Karri: if it is on here, it was never meant to intentionally hurt you and is not about you. Because believe me, I try to keep myself in check.
Yes, really. This is me in check. You didn't know I had strong opinions? Originally I wanted to start a blog that only strangers read - it is a lot easier to write for strangers who you aren't so worried if you will insult their religious, political or parental skills and beliefs - because strangers will only read blogs that they agree with anyway. If you are trying to convince everyone that Iceland is the only place to live - your readers will be Icelandic fans. But frankly, there isn't time for two blogs so keeping one is all I have time for now - and I will try and keep it more focused on the kids since that is my first priority anyway. But bits of me keep creeping in, and since somehow I seem to be attracted to controversy like a moth to a lightbulb...
There are two things you should know about me. One, I am not a stranger to conflict. I don't shy away from it but I can certainly learn how to manage it a bit better. I was a great debater in high school (great as in "did a lot of it" not as in "skilled"). Just ask my mom and dad, I could argue anything into the ground. Did I do it in love and with respect though? Probably not. I've learned a lot in that department from Keith. He is very skilled in that regard. I'm still learning how to voice my opinions and stand up for what I believe, while doing it in a respectful way. I've always known how powerful words can be - I just don't think I've ever stopped to think about how they change the way people view you (or just didn't care). While I have no idea how my past words have shaped someone's viewpoint of me - I can certainly tell you that watching mediums like Facebook come alive, it has changed my perception of many, many people.
Two, I strongly believe that just because you have a viewpoint that others don't agree with, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. To this day, I still don't understand why people with differing opinions can't agree to disagree and still walk away allies. But I am beginning to understand that just because I seem to be able do that - doesn't mean everyone else can. Meghan McCain just amazes me. Here is a girl whose father just lost an election, and while others are whining and complaining that the world is ending, she offers sincere congratulations and moves on. (I'm not even sure I could have done that) Not with daily life, but with an agenda to fix the party her dad was a part of, a party that she truly loves and wants to flourish again and some people who should be her biggest supporters are saying horrible, horrible things about her. And yet she continues on, holds her head up high and is staying as professional as one can be at the age of 24 years OLD. 24!
So this old girl at the age of 35 is still trying to tread the waters. Still trying to figure out how to balance beliefs and feelings, what is appropriate and what should be held back, which stances to take and which to ignore, what will hurt and not help. Will I always succeed? No. But I'm always trying...that should count for something.
5 comments:
Kudos to being YOU and for always striving to be a better YOU. That's why I love you ;)
-Jen
Great post. Always proud of you.
Keith
WOW that was good. Having a rich tapesty of thoughts, opinions and people in your life gives you exactly that. A rich rewarding life. Thanks for being so honest and open.
Katrina
First - I'm glad to see you back. I always enjoy your blog. Second - this was an interesting comment on what being an adult is supposed to mean - the ability to disagree on issues and still be friends. I have several friends who have very different politics than I do, and yet we are able to discuss and debate, and then move on. But it took me awhile to learn I didn't have to stress over the disagreements - what a happy lesson. As for Meghan McCain - I may not belong to her party, but I can certainly appreciate the grace and maturity she showed in these past few months.
All this is a lot of babble to say, hey! I agree with you.
Hi Missy - thanks for coming back!
Thanks all, I'll try to keep that foot in my mouth to a flip flop or sandal :)
It is hard to sit and watch this President doing a great job under the circumstances and then watching people tearing him down and calling him the Anti-Christ every chance they get. But I'll refrain from complaining too much on here!
Post a Comment