Monday, March 23, 2009


Jackson-isms

My dad always asks if I have any good Jackson stories. Anyone who knew him as a preschooler knows he had some whoppers. So I have two things new with Mr. Jackson:

1. He is now reading chapter books All. By. Himself. You have no idea how happy it makes me. He's been able to for a while now but lacked the self confidence to dive into a book with very few pictures. But after I bribed him with a prize he finished one and has now devoured many more. Mostly Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House since they read those in class and he is familiar with them. But this gives us a whole new level of self entertaining.

2. He has a girlfriend. Salenas. She is very cute and they leave school holding hands almost every day. I think she gets the whole "girlfriend/boyfriend" concept but I honestly don't think Jackson is completely wise to what situation he is in. Come to think of it - that doesn't really change as they age - does it?

The other night he told Keith that they came up with a "plan" - at least they are thinking ahead. Since he is going to drive trains for a living - and she wants to be a barber, they have decided that he'll drive trains during the day and she'll work at a barber shop near our house and he'll get his hair cut by her in the evenings or on his days off. No implication of marriage or civil union. Not sure what she gets in return? Train rides?

2 comments:

thetaylorfamily said...

I always knew he was smart :)-It sounds like he is doing great!!! So happy to hear the news! Take care and give all your cute kids a hug from me! Take care-ST-LU

Jemel said...

How flippin' cute!!!! I knew he'd have a hot girl friend early in life...he always won me over with his cute self! Congrats on the reading...it's such a huge obsticle to tackle as one of your friends in the education field I say "RIGHT ON MOM AND DAD...WAY TO GO"!