Wednesday, March 05, 2008


Your Village Called. The Idiot Is Missing.



I do feel like the village idiot lately.



Is it possible to get Adult ADD like you get a cold? My head cannot focus on one activity at a time which is why I have sat on this post for five days now. I keep starting it and then forgetting what I was going to write about.


I have done fun things like making a doctor's appointment for a child and then forgetting the real reason I'm there until right before leaving. I just kept thinking did I really book this appointment just for the sinus issues? Hmmm, that's weird. To later realize frantically, Urinary Tract Infection! Someone get me a cup for this child to pee in!


And I've been slowly trying to convince my body that exercise is a GOOD thing - and probably necessary to complete a sprint triathlon. My body rejects exercise much in the way it rejects pregnancy hormones, medications and hard liquor.


Since I like to animate objects in my head for amusement, I view my body as a temperamental toddler being given medicine against its will. All wild eyed and sticky-faced from two poorly calculated attempts to get the Tylenol in the mouth. But my body is screaming Exercise SUCKS! I want to lay on the COUCH! Where are my SLIPPERS??? And I spend the next day limping around the house like a 97 year old woman. Every single week.


I've used the last month to just shock it into movement - yoga, a step class here and there, swimming for a half an hour...baby steps. I haven't spent much time in the past few years really working out.


Oh, who am I kidding...the past few decades.


And I tend to be athletic which surprises even me. I ran track not because I loved it, but because I was fast, and therefore good at it (plus I'm sure there was some social advantage to it that I now cannot remember, because exercise in itself would have not been reason enough). I used to place in the top three at all meets for the 400 Meter dash. And then I would promptly find a trash can and throw up.

So it will be interesting to see how I go from couch potato to athlete in four months. I mean how scary can this event be? They give out pool noodles to those who aren't making it across the 1/2 mile lake.

I don't see pool noodles at Ironman.

Although I might start watching if they added them.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the three kids, they slowing make you feel insane, then one day you just learn to manage it all. What are you thinking....exercising and starting a business. You will need to be committed before summer!

just4ofus said...

They hand out noodles? Hilarious.
At this point.. I'd need the noodle to swim 1/2 mile.
Look all moms have alzheimers.
It's better than what men have... yes they are ALL alike.
Inability to multi-task.