Wednesday, March 12, 2008



Thou Shalt Not Litter

I've always been a bit of a tree hugger. My major in college was Public Relations and I thought I would go into environmental communications and even interned at some eco-grass roots operations. I think I even printed my resume out once for a job fair on green paper to visually get the idea across.

Yet no one called me. Go figure.

I was very close to landing a highly coveted job with National Geographic. To this day I might still give up my first born (just kidding J!) for the opportunity but unlucky for me the guy interviewing was an ex-professor and all he cared about were GPAs. He had a certain number in his head and wouldn't consider anyone under it no matter how many clubs they belonged to or what internship experience they had (Hello! I worked for Sea Grant...you don't get much more enviro than that). I was decent in college, above average with some A's and mostly B's, but apparently not capable of making a career for myself.

I guess my point is that I have always been concerned about recycling, energy and was even at one point giving money to Zero Population Growth out of concern for the alarming rate at which humans are multiplying.

My mother takes great delight in reminding me of that and musing how I would probably be kicked out having three children and all now.

I just don't like how trendy this environmental thing has gotten. I don't care what celebrities are buying hybrids, I think NBC is ridiculous for making their sitcom writers write in green themes for them to promote during sweeps and I really find it insulting that Target is now selling hip junior tshirts promoting "think green" or "recycle now" in fun, flirty colors and graphics. (made in an Indonesian factory with a carbon footprint the size of Rhode Island I'm sure)

Being environmentally concerned for our home and taking care of the planet we live on is just common sense and I'm glad we are not all a bunch of trash-producing morons anymore. I just hope that it doesn't end when the trend wears off.

But hopefully, thanks to the Vatican, it won't!

Apparently now throwing out aluminum cans is not only stupid...it's a SIN. An official "to hell with you" sin sealed with approval by the Pope himself.

I'm not sure what to think of that. I guess I've always thought it was wrong to not treat our planet with the utmost respect, which shows respect to God who created it.

But to just declare new sins punishable by eternal death? Can you do that?

If so, I have a few more to add to the list...
  • Thou shalt not wear Lycra in public.
  • Thou shalt not wear button down denim shirts with Loony Tunes characters on them if above the age of seven. Or maybe even below the age of seven....just don't wear it at all to be safe.
  • Thou shalt not ditch thy grocery carts in the middle of the aisle while browsing shelves.
  • Abandon thy decorative-themed flags on thy homes.

3 comments:

just4ofus said...

I think that is GREAT!
If they can make up their own rules, then so can we!
I might just have to do an addendum to this on my blog.
HILARIOUS.

info@racetoremember.org said...

How about...thou shalt not leave thy grocery cart in the middle of the parking lot!!! You must take your cart to the buggy return. How hard is it????

Jenn said...

You know, as I studied up on the 10 Commandments this year for religion class, I found that respecting the environment fell under "thou shalt not steal" because by treating the environment in a wasteful way, we were stealing resources from others. I'm honestly surprised they made sins out of common sense, but glad since some people will listen to the Pope who may not listen to common sense from others...