Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Simple Life...But With Lots Of Ibuprofen
As the Osmond's liked to say, I'm a little bit Country and a little bit Rock and Roll. But there are reasons we live in an urban setting.
Country living though...IS a good thing.

This year we are creating a rather large garden with our friends who just bought a hobby farm. This is no small project as it spreads across an acre of their land- plans have been made for a summer garden including strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, beans, beets, radishes, carrots, eggplant, cucumbers, lettuce, arugula, corn, peppers, leeks, onions, shallots, potatoes and others, a winter garden with pumpkins, squash, gourds and such, an herb garden filled with basil, cilantro, fennel, rosemary, lavender, etc., wild flower gardens for the kids and last but not least...chickens.

Thankfully Brian grew up on a wheat farm so Keith and I are just labor workers who literally want to reap what we sow. And we thought it would be a great summer project for the family.

But hard work does not come without the pain. My husband worked almost eight hours on Monday moving manure and spent the last 24 hours muttering something about heavy wheelbarrows, back pain and 800 mg now! before passing out hours earlier than expected.

I now understand why farmers went to bed at dusk. Luckily I just arrived for the planting - that is the fun part.

planting potatoes


chicks watching chicks


bike riding around the barn


seed tape planting

7 comments:

WAC-Mom said...

Looks like fun! We can't wait to see it : )

Living Stone said...

Awesome...what a neat opportunity for you guys to enjoy. I love the "chicks watching chicks" picture....the farm and barn just look lovely!!! How neat!

Anonymous said...

What a FABULOUS idea!!! I hope to visit the farm when I visit! Love the photos of the kids (and you and K too)! ~J

just4ofus said...

That is awesome. I can't believe they bought at farm.
So do they live there?
I am jealous of your vast garden, but not of Keith's work.
It will be worth it though!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Yes, they live there. They used to have a house near us - which they still have since it hasn't sold yet. But they are out at the farm for good now.

Jenn said...

How fun!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. What a fun way to enjoy life on the farm.

Anonymous said...

That looks like lots of fun. What a great experience for the kids too!