Wednesday, April 25, 2007

IM So Uncool

It's official, I'm old. Keith send me a text message photo this morning of the inside of his plane. His way of saying, "Look honey! I'm on an actual plane!"

Last night, after spending 7 hours in the Dallas Airport, at 9:30 pm he was finally informed that it wasn't going to happen. No plane, no getting back home. He even put some poor ticketing agent named Howard on the phone to express his sincere apologies to me.

I get it. Things happen. Something about tornadoes, blah, blah, blah.

We won't talk about the fact that he then spent the night in a hip Hotel Indigo in downtown Dallas, watched plasma TV in his ultra-cool room and hanging out at the bar with some ex-tennis pro who knows Mathew McConaughey and Rob Lowe. We'll file that under "things he should have just left out" in talking to me.


So I tried to IM him back and say something quick like "So happy!" or "Love you!". But my phone thought it was smarter than me and kept trying to give me letters I did not want. But I couldn't get the new letters deleted and put in the ones I wanted. So I ended up just calling him back, leaving a message and saying "have a great flight".


It was the first time that mainstream technology seemed totally unknown to me. And really, he is the only person who has ever IM'd me anyway. So my chances to practice are slim. But that is not even why I felt old - 'cause I'm sure I could quickly learn.


I just do not see the need or interest. Probably exactly how my grandfather feels about computers.

I don't have to start putting Kleenex up my sleeve and smelling of Vicks Vapor Rub just yet...do I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy B. sends me IMs and it takes me forever to talk to her that way - cause I type tooooo slow. I prefer phone for conversations or e-mail for quick messages, but who knows, we may have to get on the IM train to talk to our kids someday.:) Love you!

Anonymous said...

literally laughing out loud. I'm so glad you're posting again!!!

WAC-Mom said...

Thanks for the laugh. I also wonder when I got so old...IMing, blue tooth, Blackberry, texting- all foreign to me. It is ironic since I used to get so frustrated with my mom for her lack of computer skills.

I think that some high schooler could make some good money teaching us 30-somethings everything we'll soon need to know to communicate with our kids.

Trina said...

Is there something wrong with kleenex and Vic's vapor rub?! rofl We all have days where we feel old, than you say to yourself NEVERRRR!! *make sure you shake your fist at the sky in a Scarelett O'Hara way though* Thanks for the laugh!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I ALREADY smell of Vicks sometimes anyway! Sigh....