Thursday, April 26, 2007

I'll Take One Church Please!

We are *still* shopping for a church. When we moved here we knew we were leaving something special behind with Crossroads - and truthfully it was the hardest decision about leaving. We still consider it our church "home" and download sermons to listen to and such. But not being a part of the community has been really hard.

I never really understood the attachment to "church" - to me it was just a building to worship God. Growing up Catholic you really didn't think about it much. If you moved to a new place you just found the local Catholic Church and joined. There wasn't much choice in the matter and frankly, they tend to be all very similar anyway. So when I heard of people not moving or basing life decisions around a church community - I found it rather silly.

Just get a new church- is it that big of a deal??

But now that we are nondenominational Christians - life gets much more complicated. The choices of churches get much wider and run the gamut of wildly liberal to way too conservative. We've found one we're content with but its lacking the young family community, music and strong early childhood teaching that we were used to.

Basically we've come to realize that we just want Crossroads back and nothing else is going to do. So we're stuck in trying to figure out how to move beyond that, find a place that we can grow in and just let some earlier expectations go. Because no church is perfect - not even Crossroads.

But our problem is that we don't really fit in that typical church subculture that exists. We feel like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole sometimes. And I know it'll all work out. We're meant to be somewhere and in the meantime we're finding ways to make it work for our family.

But really folks, you can only justify using Veggie Tale videos as Sunday School for so long....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding a new church is not always easy, but when we let God shape us,we will fit in where HE wants us to be!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I never had a "Crossroads" in my life but have been struggling to find something like that for a long time. Now that I am in this community and have a child who I would like to raise with spirituality, the search is on again. Maybe I need to give something beyond the "traditional" a try . . . it seems to me that their might be quite a few people in this same "boat" here in the community -- maybe the "reproduction" aspect that Crossroads stresses as a tenant ("churches reproduce other churches")means one should start up here? That sounds like yet another project:)

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Krystyna I presume?

That has actually crossed Keith's mind a number of times. Crossroads was started by a bunch of professionals (at P&G actually) in Cincinnati who wanted to get their friends back to a church they could relate to - not started by traditional pastors which is unusual. So it can be done - but yes, quite a big project!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's me. You know, Brain R. wants to start his own school (with the difficulty they had getting S into a school this year) and now with this church start up . . . we might as well by that church/school combo that is for sale on Wisconsin Ave. (closer to Downtown.) Alex and I were in it and it is actually very pretty (the church) and the school is cute. There is even a gym and bowling alley in the basement. All needs work. I think the parish would be willing to give it away for free at this point (especially for such a good reason -- it's been for sale for a very long time and they do not want developers to knock it down) but we were told that the heating bills are close to $3,000 a month! Not to mention there is a hole in the roof or something like that:)

WAC-Mom said...

I'll develop the curriculum for the school...

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I would LOVE to buy that building! That is so tempting...

Last we talked he Brian wanted to make a school AND disco out of it. We might need to talk him out of the disco portion :) Although I think he was kidding.

Anonymous said...

I think we'd have quite a few kids that would attend - Moes, Sarrazins, Hemmigs, Gordons, Rays, etc. I'd be interested to see if there is info online about other communities that started a school/church combo like this?

Katy said...

Hey, God isn't about a building. I encourage you to do something in your own house. Get a community of people to worship with, let the kids witness that and that's probably more than any sunday school will do. Also, don't think of it as it having to become something big with an address. Back in the day, the true followers of Christ just learned about his love with friends. I think you're about to stumble into something beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hey - praying for you guys in this. Steven and I are so content and blessed in the church home God has given us, but we know the feelings of looking - not finding - waiting - disconect etc. Seems that maybe God is giving you new thoughts and leading - exciting!!!

Trina said...

I just wanted to say that I hope you find what you are looking for, even if it's something that you end up doing yourselves. God can and will do some amazing things along your journey, Im sure!

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Thanks all for the encouragement - we'll find it, I know! Just being impatient as usual :)
Karri