Thursday, August 21, 2008



Happy Birthday to ME!

Well, if you have to be old, middle-aged, overweight from post-vacation feasting, alone (or if you want to be specific - with three kids and no other adults) on your birthday, today wasn't that bad! Thank you to Shannon for a nice lunch and beautiful flowers and to Jen for the awesome arrangement of chocolate covered strawberries!

Feeling very pampered right now - thank you very much.

35 is quite depressing actually. While I can see why people say the thirties and forties can be your best years, I also feel like I am no longer "youthful". That ship has sailed, although I think the three kids speeded up the process a bit. I said this to Keith over the phone earlier today and he said youthfulness is a state of mind, not a number.

And I said that is what old people say to make themselves feel better about being old.

So now I feast tonight, alone, in front of taped episodes of So You Think You Can Dance while eating an entire Chicken Thai Pizza and 12 chocolate covered strawberries and half a bottle of red wine.

If that isn't self-indulgent, I don't know what is.

8 comments:

EBD said...

I think that sounds like a great birthday!

Jeff who is 44 - says age is only a number and he acts younger then me so I think we need to listen to our husbands. 3 kids does not make you feel young though that is for freakin' sure!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Karri! Wish I could join you for TV and chocolate covered strawberries. When you're having "feeling old" days, just remember I'll be a couple years ahead breaking the path for ya :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Watch what you say about "Old People"! I refuse to get old. A birthday is just a day after all...

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

To Mom, I even mentioned you when I said "old is a state of mind." Wait, that sounds like I said you have an old state of mind. Just the opposite. Youthfulness is just this--full of youth. Grandma Hemmig and Grandam Meibers were youthful into their 90's right?

Happy Birthday Karri. Glad your day didn't suck as bad as it could have. :-) Love you.

keith

Jenn said...

You are NOT old. Old people don't participate in Triathalons.

Hope you had a great birthday!! Your gifts look wonderful.

Goeltzy said...

Happy Birthday!!

Lindsay said...

Just dont' start tatooing your body in odd places, wearing thongs 24/7 or getting a motorcycle license in order to cling to "youthfulness". You, more than many, can wear your age with beautiful grace, and float on the years past (picture a sublime pool). Your such a lovely woman Karri- all 35 years of you. Celebrate. xo LInds

just4ofus said...

I am glad that you had a good, self indulgent day.
That's what birthdays are all about : )
That ship hasn't sailed yet!!!
And really, it is how you act and feel.
Really
cause' i can act really stupid and young when i want.